Red Feather Duster found in tank

Discussion in 'Coral' started by CODEE111, Jun 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

Last night, I noticed I had a tiny red feather duster in my tank. I surfed Google and found the Serpula Columbiana Red Trumpet Tube Worm that looks just like the one I have. It is living in a long tube much like the feather duster I have and is attached to a rock that I've owned for several years and I know it hasn't been there long as I am always checking out the tanks.
    There are plenty of pictures but not a lot of information on this critter and most of the pictures I found, they were in the ocean not an aquarium.

Does anyone have these in their tanks or know how to care for them? How big will she get? Reproduction? Anything?

2. Click Here!

3. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

I have lots of tiny feather dusters throughout my live rock, some are red, some striped, some plain. I'm not sure what kind they are, but I'm pretty sure they don't get any bigger and will probably grow and reproduce in an aquarium setting. Not sure of the red one, but the non-red ones reproduce well in an aquarium setting.

4. CODEE111

It would be so cool to have a lot of them in my tank.:eek:

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

like a lot of things, the populations of these will rise and fall given what fish you happen to have, water quality, etc.

6. CODEE111

It's a 14 gallon Bio Cube with a pair of clowns, a RBTA, and various corals. Don't see any predators in the tank that would bother it and water changes are done weekly so the paremeters are (almost) always in check. I due sometimes have outbreaks of red algae do to feeding too much or too much light but it's been awhile.

They should probably be ok...right?

Do you know if they reproduce themselves?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Over time, things change. So will your population of these little guys.

They should be fine. They reproduce on their own. Sometimes you will have an "outbreak" of them and other times you'll only see a couple.

It's normal. I wouldn't worry about it.

But they are really neat. I like them.

8. Click Here!

9. CODEE111

Thank you for the info. I like them too.

Attached Files:

10. VooDoo

VooDoo Fire Shrimp

That duster is not the Serpula Columbiana Red Trumpet Tube Worm. Its just a red feather duster. I have 100's in my tank and haven't done anything special for them. same thing though, all of a sudden there was a bunch in my tank and not sure where they came from. Mine range from white, red, purple,grey,black.....its crazy! :D

11. CODEE111

Are yours tiny or do they grow the size of the feather dusters sold at the LFS?

That tube was there a long time ago (maybe 3 years) when I bought the rock but never saw anything in it until this week. Wonder where it came from. It was in the larger tank, then I moved it to a hospital tank, then for several months the rock sat in a bucket waiting for me to start my new tank.

Last night I noticed a bunch of tiny red blurrs attached to my torch coral in the large tank. Maybe the same thing but too small to tell and they don't seem to retract like the feather dusters so I don't know.

Still........Tooo Coool!

12. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda