Red Carnation Coral

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by Covey, Jan 19, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I was wondering what you guys know about these? My LFS got a few of them in but I was looking for more info. It is a softies and they said it was low light but I was wondering what esle anyone know?

2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Well Crap! This is not my tank here is some info from pet solutions:"Carnation Coral: Red / Orange
    Carnation Coral, Dendronephthya sp., adds a blushing red/orange/pink to the shadows of a well-lit aquarium or acts as a showpiece to an aquarium of moderate lighting. This coral is great for experienced reef keepers willing to attend to its particular light, water flow, and feeding needs. Carnation Coral will not tolerate bright, direct lighting, so it is often placed in the shadows or in cave entrances in a highly-lit aquarium. It does, however, require a medium to high water flow, which can be tricky, given its preferred growing location in the shadows. Because the Carnation Coral does not create its own food algae, it must be provided with a great quantity of natural algal microverts, or supplemented with frequent, consistent feedings with products such as Kent PhytoPlex, Two Little Fishes PhytoPlan, or Two Little Fishes Marine Snow. The constant need for these foods can tend to diminish water condition, thus the recommendation for advanced aquarists. For the aquarist willing to invest a little extra time, this coral can be a true eye-catcher."

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Glad you did your research before buying. I only know one person who's been able to keep this type of coral alive and he's been in the hobby for over 30 years. :)

5. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Ditto...they tend to fall apart....funny thing is they look good even after they have broken up so chosing a healthy specimen is near impossible. I dont knw of any longterm sucess (personally) with these corals.