Red Algea on sand?? help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Scoffer, Dec 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Hi everyone. I finally got to taking a picture of this red and brown stuff on my sand. I t only seems to be on the sand to. The snails seem to eat it. They leave pretty white spots were they've been!!

But if anyone can ID this stuff, and tell me more about what to do (cure or leave it) I would greatly apprecieat it.

Also, when I touch it with something, or stir the sand up, it just goes Poof! and the spot goes away clean. I mean, its not thick or tough, more like red powder on the sand. Not like a "carpet" or "mat", that I would describe.

Thanks All.... and ho ho ho..Merry Christmas!!!

btw, all I want for Christmas is a bike. Not a motocycle, just a bicycle to ride around the block with!! :) But I have been bad, so I'll probably get coal, again.

Scoffer

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

I do have some more close up photo's if anyone might need to help ID they stuff...(I've nick named, "The Goo")

S

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

It's Christmas algae. :)
    Ok fine, it's cyanobacteria.
    Is this a new tank? Common during cycling.
    Comb the ASAP board as it has been well covered and check out the cyano links on the links page.

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I agree with Matt, that's very similar to what I had and I think it's a mixture of Diatoms and cyano. What I found was the Diatoms disappeared and the Cyano then took over creating a mat ( not Matt ). Keep gently disturbing it with a baster or something and keep an eye out in case it starts to appear on the rock work.

John

6. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

thanks all....thats what birdlady or amcarrig ?? sorry both are great, said too without even seeing the pictures. They also said it eats nitrates, which for me is good right now. The tanks about 6-8 months old, still a baby I guess...

thanks Ill clean, do water change, sift up sand, and run the diatom filter for a bit.
    Thanks again all

Scoffer

7. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I just added some power heads and it took care of mine. Just needed more water movement.

Cindy

8. Click Here!

9. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

ohhh......I does seem to be only in that one area..Ill try either adding another power head or moving my output to add more cureent there...

thanks again everyone!!!!

Scoffer

10. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

Just a little more water movement, more frequent water changes with "good" water, a couple gobies to sift and stir the sand, and another BEER!

CowboyUp [smiley=cowboy.gif]