red algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mattgeezer, Jan 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

i have this horrible red algae all throughout my tank temp and all other levels seem to fine would any one have any other suggestions to fix my problem .:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. blue_eyes53813

blue_eyes53813 Flamingo Tongue

It is probably red slime algae, You can blow it off the rocks with a turkey baster, ( I turn off powerheads too) . it will float to the top of the tank and I scoop it out with a net. Causes are to much feeding, not good enough water circulation. lights on to long. High nitrates and phophates. How often and how much at a time are your water changes. Reduce all of the above ( except water changes of course) and it will slowly disappear.

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Yeah, what he said. Man, I'm thinking of doing water changes more often, can't seem to make my phosphates disappear. :-/

5. corebond

corebond Astrea Snail

I have the same problem. I have been cutting down on my feedings, reduced my lighting, and pick out as much as I can during the water changes. So far there hasn't been a lot of change.

I have also heard that peppermint shrimp, crabs, snails, sea hares, and lettuce nudibranchs will eat it.

6. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

cheers i was also told to change my lights once per year i use the 10000k marine glow tubes do you think that it would help the algae problem as well?