Red algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by oceaninside, Jan 9, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceaninside

oceaninside Plankton

I have a small reef that is well established and I have had alot of success with it so far. No bells and whistles just a straight forward set up with a hang on filter. In over a year of being stocked nothing has been lost nor have I had any blooms of any sort till now. RED ALGAE!! What the heck is it and how do I get rid of it. The tank is a 18g high with a penguin 330 hang on filter, 60 watt pc, and the temp is always 78 degrees. Any help or suggestions would be awesome.

2. Click Here!

3. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Probably Cyno bacteria. Caused by poor water conditions and excessive nutrients and lighting. There are many ways to get rid of it. What are your nitrates and other readings for your water? Is the stuff slimey to the touch? If so than its cyno.

Look here for some tips on removal and more info about the stuff.
    http://wetwebmedia.com/cyanocontrolfaqs.htm

Jay     ;)  Good luck with it

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

o darn...i had that problem too...try to get phosphate removers...and i think if its red slime get a product called "slime algae remover" its yellow in a small tube...it owns the algae!

5. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Chemi-clean is a great product for ridding unwanted Cyano. Takes 48 hours to complete and is safe for all fish, verts and corals.

T