Red algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by jot, Aug 3, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jot

jot Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

How did I get rid of this stuff ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375548079.038702.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375548093.800191.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Wc, manual removal, find the source of the excess nutrients its feeding on.
    How long has your system been running for. How big, how many fish? Type of filtration (sump/ fuge, canister)? Any info about the tank will help others in the diagnosis of your problem.
    When I upgraded to my 125g I got an outbreak that was bad and lasted months. But with persistence, weekly wc it subsided.
    If your over feeding or overstocked without enough biological filtration it will be difficult.

4. jot

My tanks a Red Sea max 250. 6 fish running carbon and rowaphos in bags in the sump.

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I had a bad breakout of Red Cyano and used Chemiclean which worked wonders and had no effect on my fish, corals or invertebrates. just follow the directions. Gone after 2 treatments and no issue since.

However as diverdan mentioned also try to figure out what is causing it.

6. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Chemi clean is just a band aid for the real issue. I used it in the past on my 80g and cyano would just keep coming back because I didn't have the real problem under control.
    I know you said 6 fish. But if you can be a little more specific, 6 chromis would have less impact than say 6 tangs. Not saying you have 6 tangs just an example.
    How much and how often do you feed?
    What about wc, how often? Ro/Di water?
    Everything you can think to sag about your system will help.
    -Will

7. jot

2x clowns 1x mccosters flasher wrasse, 1x chalk bass,1x royal gramma and a 1x starry eyed blennie. I use RO water and do about 30 litres a week. I feed then a small amount of flake in the morning then half a cube of frozen. I changed my salt from d-d to Red Sea pro coral salt, that's when I noticed the problem.

8. Click Here!

9. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

Algae problems are usually caused by aquarium water with excess nutrients like phosphate, nitrates etc. You can try and siphon out what you can to remove the algae in the short term. In the long term you may have to examine how you care for your tank. There are some commercial dry foods also contain excess nutrients and other undesirable things like nitrates, phosphates etc so I strain/rinse my fresh/frozen foods before feeding my tank. You may want to consider feeding your fish less often. If you have bio balls/media, check if they are dirty or get rid of them if you have enough live rock. Also, changing your photo period, light bulbs, adding more flow, using RO/DI water with a good salt. If your phosphates are high you can add a phosphate remover like Tropic Marin Elimi-Phos also, increasing flow in your tank may help too.

10. jot

Thanks for your help and advice