Red Algae Taking Over

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Reef Lover, Apr 18, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

This red algae is taking over my tank. How can I get rid of it?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. hexus0

hexus0 Astrea Snail

that is some funny looking red algae... ya might wanna show a better pic. because that looks like coraline algae to me.... Wierd thing is it looks like a coral or plant as well. I have something that looks the same in my tank. Its growing slowly but its a "hard flower sprout type thing" but it looks cool so i keep it.

yea i duno it has those "discs" in it... Is it a picture of a coral with the "red algae" somewhere inside? or is it a full pic of the "Algae"? you need a pro on this ... or a better pic. sorry for not bieng helpfull... i just like to talk.. ;)

4. hexus0

hexus0 Astrea Snail

maybe a colony of mushrooms or ZOOS? because some of the "algae discs" have stems.. and the critical part of the pic is to blurry to make out.

5. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

Boys this could be a plate coral and if it is that is some money$$$$$. Get a better picture of it and try to post it at a few forum boards to get a common ID. also try sending a PM to VAMP75. Very knowledge in the plates and hard coral.

6. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

The rock that it's growing on is cover with button polyp, and now I can't see them anymore because there're covered with this algae. There're not plates because I pulled one off and there is no skeleton. They look like crustose coralline algae or some sort of red algae plant that is taking over. I'm going to take more pictures.

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Oic, so its some kind of marco algae...hmm

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

More pictures

Attached Files:

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Wait...so are those the polyps that are covered with algae or is the algae a mushroomed shape? also, i think i see a pest anemone on the right next to the 2 buttom polyps.

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Reef lover, it might not be algae. It might be marginopora. Google it, they are harmless filter feeders and are also photosynthetic. They are foraminiferans and are not very hardy. If they are thriving in your tank, you might have a lot of dissolved organics or proteins in your water contributing to their health. The invertebrates book has a nice picture of them but I dont have a digi camera. ;( Also, they are sometimes confused with coralline algae, hehe. They are sometimes pale green or pink.

12. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

Those are polyps that are covered with algae. Are you referring to these?

Attached Files: