Red algae spreading all over substrate

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ryan Duchatel, Jul 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Hey Guys,

My tank is probably into its 4th day of cycling with some peices of raw fish.

I have 5kg of live rock in the tank to seed my dry rock which is on order.

This morning I noticed a red algae, similar to the red algae growing on the live rock, spreading all over the bottom substrate. I have done a bit of reading and it is either coraline algae or a diatom? Not that I really know the importance of either of these.....

Is there anything I can do to prevent this? or is this normal?

Any help would be fantastic.

2. Click Here!

3. cheesyguy

cheesyguy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Normal, its part of your cycle most likely diatoms or cyano does it look slimey?

4. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

It looks abit slimey on the live rock. Doesnt look particularly slimey on the substrate but I have only noticed it this morning. It does look red enough to give my white nice sand substrate a redish look :).

Will this just go away?

5. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Could be cyano, or diatoms. Most likely diatoms. Diatoms will go away on there own, once the silicates are gone.

6. Acidraindt

Acidraindt Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

A few turbos/nassarius should do wonders after the tank has cycled (not sure if snails are alright before it's done cycling). But the best substrate cleaner I have found is a 2 spot goby. Without him I think my whole sand bed would be covered in algae. Once it has cycled I recommend adding one!