Red Algae on Green star polyps

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by GAZBO, Apr 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

I have a red algae film on a section of my GSP and they wont open up anymore I do brush them off weekly with a brush but cant seem to remove it. It is on the edge so its prohibiting it from growing/spredding is there any suggestions or do I need to cut and remove this section.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

take an ordinary kitchen turkey baster and blast your GSP's with strong jets of water. There's probably detritus that has settled in the GSPs and is rotting which gives the cyanobacteria something to feed off of.

4. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

By the way he describes it, it could be red cyano bacteria, if he brushed off and it keeps coming back!?!?

5. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

I dont know if its cyano bacteria or not. It seems to grow where there is the most current. Like on my glass where the a ph hits it and it is very hard to remove. I do have my return aimed at my GSP so that would explain why its growing on my GSP. Is there something that I can do to stop this algae from growing. Its not growing out of control by any means like I said its only where direct current makes contact on my glass and GSP.
    Thanks for any help.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

hey Gazbo

can you get a photo?
    do you test for Phosphate and Nitrates? if so what results do you get
    Steve

7. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

here are some pics there not the best since there in a hard spot to get a good pic.
    I am starting to think that yes this is cyano its weird how it has direct water flow on it and most threads say good water movement will stop cyano and now in I am in battle mode to make sure it doesnt get out of hand.

algae on gsp 1.jpg
    this pic. was taken about 3wks ago
    algae on gsp 2.jpg

algae on gsp 3.jpg
    you can see how its advanced and I brush it off at least twice a wk and now I am going to do this daily.