Red algae, green algae and little air bubbles

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by sykes_33, Aug 31, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sykes_33

sykes_33 Astrea Snail

Since I have upgraded my lighting in my 125g sw with the 72" 3 halo with 4x96W and moon lights I have been seeing changes in my tank, all good so far with some questions. I am noticing a lot more red and green macro growing on the glass and rocks but the turbo snails are going to town on that and are falling behind.. LOL so I help scrap it off. My sea Urchin is also goiing to town. He can turn a red rock clear in no time. My question is across the top of some of my rocks I am noticing tiny airbubbles forming and then releasing into the water floating to the top. They are clear and seem to be only across the most top of the rock pile. Took pics but not sure how to post them at this time. Will try in a bit to post pics

I did a 25 gallon water change yesterday and still having the issue of 20ppm Nitrate, possibly 40ppm. Wondering what this is all about as well as can some algae guru tell me more about the red vs green algae and is it a good thing. I also noticed it is alot of buildup in the plastic catch basket where there water falls into then gets sucked up into the sump underneath. Lots of red algae in there.

UPDATED PICS

DSCN1190 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Well, Im not a guru in any sense of the word but I will try to help you in any way I can. Your high nitrates are feeding the algae bloom in your tank. now having said that, we must find first what is going on with ur nitrates. Are you over feeding, are you cleaning out your sand when preforming water changes, are you over dosing any type of liquid food? I too was struggling with nitrates until I found out that i was over feeding. So I cut back on everything, food, liquid food and even trace elements.

4. sykes_33

sykes_33 Astrea Snail

yes, I also dicovered last week I was over feeding big time. I am now like 3 cubes every 3 days and a capful of DT's with a seaweed treat on a clip.
    After a water change of 25 Gallons I would have thought my Nitrate would come down somewhat (still at 20ppm maybe 40). Is Nitrate embedded into the sand? Do I have to suck the sand or can i just suck out water and still have same effect. I ask because I don't want to suck up any sealife in the sand.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

First, the nitrate issue is not going to be over night, unfortunitly, in a tank, nothing ever is. It took me at least 1 month and a half. as for the water changes, yes, you must clean the sand every time you do a water change, its a big help. You wouldnt suck up anything and if you did, it will be replaced. I dont know what your regiment is but this is mine. blood worms, flake food, frozen brime shrimp and seaweed is given every third day but not at the same time. one different one every third day. as for trace elements and plankton and suspended liquid foods is given every third day was well.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It's hard to tell what those bubbles are because the picture is fuzzy but I did notice that you had an anemone majano in there which I'd get rid of ASAP.

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Feeding is always a sticky issue...something that experience gives a feel for, on one's particular tank.

I still think you might be overfeeding...stop the DT's, only give frozen food once every 3-4 days for a treat - after algae is under control. Get some good quality flake and give only a couple of pinches a day or whatever it takes your fish to clean up in minute or two.

Vaccuming algae and increasing water changes will help get rid of current algae problem...but will keep coming back if you continue to overfeed.

8. Click Here!

9. sykes_33

sykes_33 Astrea Snail

why get rid of the anemone?

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Majano's are a major plague to be avoided.

Yours may or may not be depending on size. Hard to tell in pic.

I have a small BTA variety that don't grow to any more then 5-6 inches across. They split now and then but not all that often. I zap them to keep them under control (two or three a year)

Center of pic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perfect for nano (12 gal)...stay small, don't mind low light.

[​IMG]

11. sykes_33

sykes_33 Astrea Snail

Wait what where in my picture is this majano's? All the things I got from the store. Those are sea anemone's I paid for them. They have green tips and they glow in the dark under those blue led moon lights. I had thos mojano's before and you are right they were all over before I learned what they were. They sit tall and kind of look like a feather duster/anemone but all brown. Joes juice killed those in my old tank...

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator