Red algae co-insides with caulerpa death?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Dustin75, Jan 21, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

I have this red algae that has popped in my tank about three weeks ago. I do 15 g water changes every week w/R.O. and all of my levels are in spec
    Amm 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 10
    phosphate 0.05
    pH 8.4
    alk 3.5 meg/L
    Temp 78 F
    Water turn over 12x p/h

All was going well until this red algae? showed up, any ideas of what it is.  And would it cause my feather caulerpa to melt into a pile of green slime, because that is what happened yesterday. Any ideas of what the red stuff is or why my caulerpa died. pictures are in my photo album
    thanks for your advice in advance

2. Click Here!

3. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

sounds like nitrate and phoshate are high ,yea looks like it I had same problem still do in my new tank..how old is your tank?how much are you feeding?

4. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

I feed every other day, learned the hard way by feed to much ,had hair algae everywhere from excessive phosphates. I have been using phospoban for the last two months along with reduced feeding to keep my phospates in check. I started the tank in July. The lights are on a timer and run 9 and a half hours a day.

5. allaboutfish37

what about your top off water?do you use ro water too?sounds like you would..how much supplements do you put in?did anything die in your tank that you did not get out in time?

6. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

I do use RO Water as top off or in a pinch I use DI water. All fish, shrimp, and snails are accounted for no deaths in this tank since start up(quarentine tank has seen some fatalities though). As for additives I add the recommened amounts of Iron(for the caulerpa), iodine, calcium, superbuffer and essential elements every week after my water change. All products come for Kent. Do you think that is to often? Coraline algae has been growing well as well as my caulerpa(up until a few days ago when it all melted)

7. allaboutfish37

what salt do you use?and why do you use the super buffer?

8. Click Here!

9. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

I use Instant ocean, and I use superbuffer because the book I read by Fenner said to add weekly because the buffering capacity in saltwater aquariums.

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[b}I'm assumingthat you are referring to cyanobacteria. It may be the case that the cyano is out competing the feather caulerpa.

Another possibility is that the caulerpa went sexual. When caulerpa goes sexual, it generally turns white and disintigrates releasing all of it's store phosphates and nitrates back into your sytem. Going sexual is caused by respiration and a 24/7 light cycle, good in a refugium, will avoid the respiration.[/b]

11. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

My refugium does have 24/7 light but I don't know what respiration is. Please explain. I though I had to run the lights 24/7 do I?

Thanks

12. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

Does Ultralife Red Slime Remover Work?