Red Algae? all over my tank!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Nikon Samurai, May 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nikon Samurai

Nikon Samurai Bristle Worm

I'm not sure what caused this bloom but it's been bad. ND3_7172.jpg I put one of the 67000k florescent flood bulbs in my fuge about a month ago and cut back my chaeto to about half of what it was. ND3_7293.jpg Also, my DI unit exhausted at the same time. I had to add top off water of regular tap for a few days. My corals started to close up and look unhappy so I moved them to the tank upstairs. The new 5 stage RO/DI unit came about a week later. Right about that time I noticed all my snails were dead and the back of the aquarium was covered with brown algae. Thats when the red algea started. ND3_7214.jpg This tank has been in direct sunlight at sunrise and an hour or so after that every day. I considered maybe the morning light was causing the red algae so i installed blinds. The brown algae went away a few days after the new RO/DI unit was hooked up but the red algae, or at least that's what i think it is, will not go away. I think my fuge is in bad shape too because the red algae is growing on the chaeto and seems to be smothering it. ND3_7296.jpg I put a small power head in the fuge but it looked like the chaeto was dieing because it started turning white so i took it out. I've tried turning the flow up for a few days then down for a few days but nothing seems to be doing anything. The chaeto is getting smaller every time i look at it. All the mushrooms i left in the tank shriveled, released their stringy insides and started breaking apart. I think they are dead. The fish are doing really well, I still have several crabs and all of my coral shrimp are still alive. I have a Aqua UV 15W Advantage 2000+ HOB UV Sterilizer coming in a few days and new bulbs for my hood. My parameters are nitrates 20, phosphates 0, ammonia 0, Calcium 450, ph 8.3 salinity is dead on, water temp is 79 with a JBJ chiller keeping it consistent. I'm also using these in the tank
    SEACHEM PURIGEN
    SEACHEM PHOSGUARD

I don't understand why this is happening after having the tank for several months with no problems and very healthy coral. My skimmer is working very well giving me about 2 cups of thick green skimate each week. Maybe there is just to much organic matter in the water. The surface has a film on it I can't seem to get rid of. ND3_7235.jpg

Can you guys throw me a bone here. I'm doing everything i can and nothing seems to be helping.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Nikon

The red algae cyno - I have no experience of this problem so cant offer any valuable advice - there is some information on Cyno on the sticky threads at the top of the forum
    hopefully someone else can also offer advice

the film on top of the water - its protien build up and the protiens just like they do in a skimmer lock to the surface of the water , surface tension
    you can see the area being kept clear by the water outlet - so to remove this problem all you have to do is increase the amout of water movement at the top of the tank, this puts the protiens back into the water column where eventually your skimmer can get at them

Steve

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I use newspaper to get rid of the surface protein! Works a treat :)

5. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi the photo with the green algae in it looks like cyano but the rock with the bright pinky algae dont really look anything like cyano to me i have it in my tank to but dont no what it is! sorry i cant be more help.
    Thanks K

6. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

i am fighting the same thing rite now they say marclyn or whatever it is works its the medicine for fish ick i think, i havent tried it yet as i was waiting for it to be a last resort since it also kills some beneficial bacteria . i hate adding chemicals but if its gotta go its gotta go and maybe you've reached that point

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

You brits sure talk funny. ;D

Never heard that idea, phoenixheights--wish I knew about it way back when.

8. Click Here!

9. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Back at ya! someone asked me how it was ' across the pond' & i didnt have a clue what they were on about! or it could be that im blond!
    K;D

10. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hey Nikon, as far as the protein on top of the water, that is because there isn't any circulation there (a dead spot) you need to aim one of your power heads toward the top some to get some surface agitation. You don't want the water to be churning out of the tank but you do want to see the water churning. Then you will also get a more of the glitter look we all love. As far as that algae, see if you can scrape it off, if it is slimy it is cyano but my guess is it is Coraline and will be hard and not scraped off easily. You want that so don't worry about it.

11. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

that which is in the sump is definitely Cyanobacteria my cheato is haing the same problem

12. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I had Cyano problems and got some cheato and got my nitrates and phosphates under control and got rid of it. You could also use Chemi-Clean it will take it out but not many folks like usin chemicals....
    Danny