Recommended filtration for a 30 gal Reef tank

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Reefguy, Feb 6, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

Hi,

What would be some recommendations for filtration for a 30 gallon reef tank? Wet & Dry? Just a good skimmer?

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Invest your money in a good skimmer like the Remora from Aqua C,  it's a no hassle hang on the back skimmer rated for up to a 75g tank.  Make sure you get the Maxijet pump with it instead of the Rio.  Do you want to do a sump or hang on the back style filter?  Sumps more expensive but works better.  You can also do the new CPR Aquafuge with a built in skimmer (hang on the tank style)which has the benefit of the refuge and growing macroalgea for nutrient export to keep the nitrates at a minimun.  If you go this route I would then add a power filter for mechanical and chemical filtration- Hagen Aquaclear 300 and a power head inside the tank.  If you have the money though, I would go with a sump or build your own sump using a rubbermaid container.  Don't do a wet dry because it will just be a nitrate factory and your corals wont do well.  Also get 25-30#'s of quality live rock, and 5-6 watts per gallon of lighting.

4. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

How about a aqua C and a Ehiem canister filter? Im guessing a Jebo 180 or 2003 is a no no

5. Black_Raven

You can't go wrong with the Remora skimmer by AquaC.  But I wouldn't use a canister filter, They are a pain to clean and use high wattage pumps. If you use a HOT filter like the Hagen Aquaclear 300 or the pengiun 330/350 you can easily rinse out the filter media weekly as well as replace the charcoal. These filters are cheap if you order online, they move alot of water at low wattage,  I think they use 6 wattts of power at 300-350gph.  If you get the penguin you can remove the bio wheels so you dont have wet dry filtration.  With power filters you want to rinse out the filter media every 1-2 weeks so it doesnt become a nitrate factory.
       I'd much rather you go with the new CPR hang on the tank Aquafuge with built in skimmer and then use a power filter and a powerhead for more water movement.  The refuge will really help keep the nitrates down especially if you will be adding 2-3 SMALL fish to the 30g reef.  This is a cheap, power efficient and very effective way to set up a reef tank if you dont want to spend the money for a sump.  I used this method on my old 30g reef and had no problems. Check out CPR's website at www.cprusa.com.  Their Bak-Pak skimmers are pretty decent as well and are rated at 60gallons and are cheaper than the remora's by about $50.  I'm partial to the remora's because its set and forget and are rated for 75g.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I like the idea of building my own sump, I have a 10 gallon tank sitting around that would be perfect for it. But it sounds some what complicated, is there a websites that shows you how to build one? As far as filtration All i Need is some live rock, macroalgae, aqua C skimmer some power heads and any little carbon filter like whisper or aquaclear and I should be good to go right?

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

8. Click Here!

9. Black_Raven

Yes,  that would be all you would need to set up the tank.  If you do the sump you would not need the power filter because you can incorporate the filter media into the sump.   You will need an overflow box for the sump and I would use a 20g tank, preferably a 20g long, or use a 20g rubbermaid container.  Check out the DIY site in 3reef forum.  Also do a google search for DIY sumps.

10. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

btw macroalgae is the algae that grows on the rock right?

11. Black_Raven

Macro algae is plant like algae, not the microscopic or slime type. Check out www.macro-algae.com

12. Olyoxenfree

Olyoxenfree Astrea Snail

I agree with what everyone has said. Great Protein Skimmer = Great water quality. Here is a link to the AquaC Remora Skimmer which runs for about $164 with the maxijet
    http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_aquac_remora.asp?ast=&key=

Here is a link for the aquaclear hang on the back filters which are dirt cheap, they filter out particulate matter and if nothing else provide nice water movement (powerhead anyone?)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...0&ref=3055&subref=AC&N=2004 22769

I have heard of people using aqua clears as mini sumps/refugiums by replacing the media with live rock rubble and adding a clamp on light like this for light.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8154&N=2004 113176

Hope that helped!

-Oly