Received My First Clams

Discussion in 'Clams' started by crank2211, Jun 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

Everything's been going really well with the tank lately, so I decided to try my hand at keeping clams.

Here's some not so great photos. They're really hard to take pictures of and capture colors.

Derasa (Solomon) 5"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Green Maxima ~2"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The derasa opened up pretty quickly and is doing pretty good. The Maxima on the other hand I'm guessing is only about half way open, but not really sure. I know it can take a couple days for it to get used to the new tank. Hoping it puts its foot down on the little rock I have it on and doesn't plunge down into some zoas. I'm a little concerned as it's right near where 2 clowns and a gramma hang. They're there all the time and keep going by it causing it to retract, constantly.

Will it get used to it or should I move?

Thanks for looking

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Don't worry, the clams will get used to the activity of the fish. They are just a bit nervous being in the new environment. My clams don't even react to my fish anymore, just light changes.

Beautiful clams!!! :)

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Very nice clams, I really like the look of that Derasa, nice pics too! What type of lighting do you have them under? Get ready to dose if you don't I have two Maximas in my tank and they love that Calcium :)!

5. crank2211

Thanks for compliments guys.

As far as lighting - I've got an 4xT5 ATI Sunpower fixture.
    - 2x ATI Blue+
    - 1x KZ Fiji Purple
    - 1x ATI Aquablue Special

Hoping it's enough light.

I do have a Bubble Magus doser pumping out Alk and Cal. Looking forward to upping the dose amount in a couple days.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

You may not have to dose. I have two maximas, one 7 inches and one 2 inches, and my Ca stays around 400-425 without dosing. I thought it would be totally depleted but it's not...I dunno why lol

7. crank2211

Interesting.. The Derasa was doing like a pumping action. Opening itself and inflating and closing pretty fast.. Is that it just trying to bury itself?

Also the max has a very thin brownish red thread looking filament coming out if it. Normal or just a something it picked up along the way and I should remove?

8. Click Here!

9. crank2211

So googling around suggests that the maxi might be expelling its zooxanthellae which comes right before it loses it's color. Wondering now if that's normal for a new introduction or do I have bigger problems? Its a very thin brown string coming right out of the middle of the clam. Maybe 3 inches long waving around. Anyone have any thoughts?

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Yes, that's most likely what it's doing. Mine does that sometimes, and Google brought me to the same answer. But I've never read anything about them losing their color. I wouldn't worry! He is just getting situated.

11. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

beautiful additions crank2211

+ 1 on the comments about calcium demand, having only accumulated 3 weeks experience of clam care, I was expecting my Calcium demand to escalate by a notable amount when I introduced mine. So far I have not had to change anything from my established dosing regime
    having the dosing system at least means you can react by increasing QTY or frequency should you need to.

Steve

12. crank2211

Thanks Kc, I appreciate the input. It's reassuring that it's kind of normal. I'm sure it will take awhile for them to settle in. I'm not panicking just yet :p Just figured I would post any changes I see, and ask a few questions since I'm new to these clams. They're definitely cool to watch though.

Thanks Steve, I kind of expected to see the same thing right away. A significant increase in calcium demand. Guess it doesn't work that way. Maybe just dial in a few extra mL in the doser in a couple days then test.