rebuilding r/o water

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by golfbomber1, Feb 6, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. golfbomber1

golfbomber1 Plankton

looking to get a r/o unit so i can have some happy fish and anemones. i will have a min of 40lbs of argonite caribsea base in a 55gallon, but what else do i need to add to the water besides salt to get the water to optimal levels for a happy tank? which products are recommended?

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would start with just the water and salt.
    Let the tank cycle and get established before you start to worry about adding any supplements

J

4. golfbomber1

golfbomber1 Plankton

k once the water is cycled what should be added to the water???

5. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

First...before you add anything you need to purchase all the required test kits so you can test the water. Never add anything until you first test to see what might be needed. You may not need to add anything.

Jay

Oh yea.....do you have liverock yet?

6. golfbomber1

golfbomber1 Plankton

no live rock yet, its in the mail as we speak, i ordered 75 lbs walt smith fiji stuff, i think that should be enough in my 55 gallon. I hope i dont have to add nothing to r/o water that would be great but knowing my luck i will probably have add some stuff. my test kit is on its way too but, i ordered the red sea master marine kit, it measures ph, alk, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrite, do i need any other test kits like calcium, strontium, etc???

7. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Count on needing a Calcium test kit before considering what corals you want (I am assuming this is a reef tank). Jason is right get the rock in and let the tank cycle completely before adding anything. You will not need any supplements for a while. As for Strontium etc. depending on the salt mix you use and frequency of waterchanges you do you may not need any such additives. This also will depend on how you end up maintaining your alk and calc levels.

Drew

8. Click Here!

9. golfbomber1

golfbomber1 Plankton

more of a fish tank then a reef tank, but i just want maybe 4-5 corals not much. will my agronite sand base keep the calcuim up? and as for alk how do i keep that up? but definately not adding any fish or corals until my rocks cycle the tank for a couple of months but after that i am clueless what to add to the water besides adding salt.

my ph for the water is around 7.2 out of the tap what do you guys recommend to get the ph up to 8.2?

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Hey Golfbomber1
    I understand you are mainly researching for the future but I would Read the 3 step listed on the home page.
    Your PH, CA, and ALK are going to be messed up while the tank cycles so there is little need to start testing it until your Ammonia and Nitrites are back to zero. PH of course is the most important for fish, crabs, snails, and shrimp. Then if you get into corals that is when I'd get concerned about your CA and ALK.

J

11. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

What Jason said!! Your salt mix should pretty well set the ph right. Everything will be topsy-turvy until the cycle runs its course.

Drew

12. golfbomber1

golfbomber1 Plankton

thx, i will be patient and cycle my tank and see how that works out for me.