really weird thing!?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Dingo, Jun 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Tomita has taught me to learn to ID things....she is like...Misses Miagi when it comes to IDing...glad she agreed 100% with me :)

2. Click Here!

3. LeslieH

LeslieH Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ah...er...ahem....sorry.....

It's easy to be fooled with these guys. It's not a spagetti worm. Those are in the polychaete family Terebellidae. It's in family Cirratulidae - the hair worms. Take a look at images posted by some friends of mine -
    Cirratulid polychaete from Sao-Tome on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Spaghetti Worm! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

We have a nice discussion about the differences between the two types in the last link. Both families consist of detritivores so either way you've got a good addition to your CUC. Some of the species found in reef tanks reproduce by splitting so the population may increase, especially if there's a lot of food.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  4. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I dunno still looks like the speghetti worm more to me...i'm not a worm expert though..lol

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I guess I feel some relief that I'm not the only one that questions that being a flying spaghetti monster, er, I mean spaghetti worm.

6. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

i have many in my fuge that live in the sand as well, some really deep and some live on the surface?

7. Big Al's Online

Big Al's Online 3reef Sponsor

I have had the pleasure of looking at that sp. of spaghetti worm under a high powered microscope - very, very cool indeed!

8. Click Here!

9. LeslieH

Sure it was that particular one? There are probably a couple of hundred species in each family.... :) But you're right, they are very cool animals!

10. LeslieH

Yeah, it's hard at first but after the first 500 or so you get an eye for them LOL

11. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

I also think it's a kind of spaghetti worm, so no harm.... It will do its job as part of your CUC.

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

yes, it is some form of spaghetti worm, or related to one. Identification is difficult, even just between the two sample pictures given by the previous links. One part making it difficult is lighting, the other, is size. The lights in the tank are a bit blue in Dingo's picture, & because the actual specimen is of such small size, well obviously that makes it hard to see..

What Dingo has, looks somewhat like Fig. 2, through color. Meanwhile the leg structures, due to more angular of appendages, looks more like the picture shown in the 1st link.