Really? too much?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Swisswiss, Jan 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

quick question as i am starting to have second thoughts

450 l tank (roughly 119 gallons) with 90 kilos of live rock (roughly 198 lbs), too much rock?

the tank is currently cycling, it would seem that as long as i place a few pumps within the rock piles to avoid dead spots and keep a good circulation it would only be beneficial.

what do you people think, also clearly i will arrange them in a manner where swimming space for the fish is possible.

2. Click Here!

3. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

it all depends on your preference on amount of LR, ive seen plenty of people have close to 2lbs per gallon and sometimes more

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

IMHO, you only have too much if your fish don't have ample free swimming space. If you're thinking of removing some for aesthetic purposes, that's entirely up to you. :)

5. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

you definatly have enough, but like they said, as long as your fish have room to swim and hide from things, then your doing alright.

6. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Also depends on how dense the rocks are. You could have 200 lbs of bricks and it wouldn't fill the tank up much but 200 lbs of brs pukani would almost fill that tank to the top.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

You are aware that you can 'seed' base rock with some live rock, and in a few months you will have alot of corralline. YOur set up sounds like $1000 worth of live rock?

8. Click Here!

9. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

I've got alittle over 500lbs in my 210 plenty of room its all in the aquascaping ;).take you time pick and choose your rocks and their placement carfully.place a rock step back and see if u like it and repeat. If you use all the rock great if not its all good in the hood. Just set it up with what looks best to you.

10. Swisswiss

yes i am aware of this, but unless i went and dug out rocks myself i could not really get any nice base rock. paid about 500 bucks for the 90 kilos

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I see.

I definitely feel lucky that my original Craigs List purchase of tank, stand, hood, PC lights and various HOB PS and filters also came with what was probably at least 200 pounds of base rock, really nice porous stuff, alot of it was large coral skeletons. All for $300. It hadn't had water in it in over 3 years! Just a few small pioeces of LR has it all looking good now after about 8 months since original set up.

Please check out my vid of my DT in my sig.

12. Swisswiss

beautiful fish tank! tunze reef pack 505 came in today (finally) placed in the tank everything seems to be running fine except the skimmer, its not producing any bubbles what so ever, i know i takes time to "break in" but yea sketching out.