Really bad deal

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by coldshot, Apr 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Sorry about the duster, but you should consider giving out warning about your tank to young people and even adults (I hate when some people (adults) start cleaning the glass with my mag float, especially near the sand :furious:)

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

All and all I have only seen one feather duster that got ripped from his tube "regrow" a new one, but he was tiny... I guess just hope for the best, is your tank open top? I don't see how a kid could reach in there if it has a stand and everything... kids are small(well, most of them) Are you sure it was a kid?

EDIT: anyway to get a pic?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

K+. I like the way you think, but IMO, they do owe you another worm. If I were their parents, I would have them go to the LFS, buy one and give it to you personally. My son stole some candy from his grandma when he was 6. Made him take his own money, go to the store, get that same candy, buy it and deliver it to grandma. Six or sixteen. No difference. Dude owes you something, if just an apology.
    Unfortuately, my experiences are the same.

Sorry brother.....this situation sucks.

1 person likes this.
  5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Coldshot - sad news but I have a personal experience that might help and based on comments above , may we worth trying anyway becuase the odds seems to be against the worm

many years ago, I had a tube worm that decided to work on its bonding to the rock work and secured itself into a position whereby it was wedged sideways against an adjoining rock, meaning it could not fully extend its feathers/ food trap so I feared for it starving

rather than strip the reef wall I attempted to free the worm by slight side to side waggling of the tube -

as you may have guessed the tube came away in my hands - leaving the worm in the crack in the rocks -

I was able to retrieve the worm- which itself is not glued to the rock, only the tube was

I was then able to slide the worm back into the tube, front end 1st so feathers fold back as it enters tubes

I relocated re housed worm into better location (hole in rock so 1 inch or so hung out) and it fixed itself into new location and survived the ordeal

Its only happened once, so I am not saying this is always going to work, but as a couple of the people above have said, worms chances are not good

may be worth trying

Steve

6. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

I agree with pharmrjohn, teenagers know whats right and wrong, and when they should not go messing in other peoples hard work, if it was me i would have a right go, but thats just me, my tang had been pecking and munching down on my feather dusters tube, it lost about an inch, so i moved it into some rockwork where the tang could not get to it, now the worm did build back onto its tube but its much lighter and you can tell much weaker, he even dropped his crown the once and i thought that was it but sure enough within a week or 2 he had a bigger better one then before...sorry to hear about this, and good luck....

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I know right?! What the crap are these people thinking? I've had adults start cleaning my tank glass too. Jeeze. ::):eek:

It's my standard practice now to tell people hands off, eyes only when they first enter.

Sorry about your worm dude.

8. Click Here!

9. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Because of this thread I just used my label maker to make a sign for my tank:

*Do not put hands or other objects in tank
    *Do not tap glass
    *Do not touch tank at all

10. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I wish they would have touched a fox face (venemous) Sorry I have no tolerence for idiots!!!

11. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

I like do not touch my tank at all, that's the safest message lol...

12. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Security system lol