Reality of my copepod cultures working?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by whippy, Mar 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I came into possession of a oscillating dragonet yesterday. His home was moving so I took him in :D. I've already ordered the pods, some chaeto and a "hang in the tank" specimen box so that I can, ideally, cultivate the pods in the chaeto directly in the tank while not depleting the stock too terribly much. It has the holes so that water flow and small critters can move to and from the area but the dragonet cannot get directly into it. I've read in several places that this works well so we shall see.

Am I mistaken? Anyone care to chime in on this?

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

How big is this specimen box? I know most are small, so if its the typical sized one I would say not worth it. Kinda like the people that do the same thing with jam jars ;) Set yourself up a 5 gallon bucket or two. My bucket I have set up cost me about $25-$30 bucks to do ;)

4. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

With the bucket set-up, I'm sure it's been covered throughout the forum but can you tell me what you needed for it? You guys know I'm new :p I've picked up A LOT of info and FAST but I still need some direction..... Just don't tell anyone I said that :shifty:
    LMAO, J/K

-whippy

I just figured it would be "ok" initially, until I have more room for fishie stuff!!

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

5 gallon bucket, cheap heater, airstone, and some household kitchen sponges. That's it :D Fill it up with water from the DT when your do water changes. Toss in some random fish food and phyto every now and again when you remember.

6. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

And that works?? What do the sponges do? Do they replace the chaeto?

7. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm guessing they help you transfer the pods to the main tank?

I've been thinking of a way to culture pods myself as I've been really wanting a Mandarin, but I'm fuge-less. I saw the website where they guy was culturing them for is nano using jars and I thought to myself, "is that going be enough". I heard those things are monster pod consumers and I'm not sure if a 5 gallon bucket can even keep it.

8. Click Here!

9. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

I've been holding off on getting a Mandarin also. I have a 55 with a small fuge and nothing else eats the pods but I really dont want to culture any if the mandarin eats through all of my "stock"

10. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I'm fugeless as well..... I just don't have the space right now! I had to take this guy because he would have been homeless (buddy's LFS isn't doing well and wouldn't take him). I'm trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible so that he thrives. This is by far on my top 3 favorite fish....probably at #1 so I want to do right by it!
    I know pods won't breed crazy fast but I'm getting a 1000+ pod culture to at least start out right. He does eat some prepared foods but I want him to get as many nutrients as I can provide him, within reason, ya know?

I really wanted to hold off on getting another fish because my tank is so young but he likes the tank. May have to take the damsel back to my lfs though as he likes to fan at the dragonet with his tail. No nipping, just tail flapping. I don't want to stress this guy!

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yes, the sponges replace the chaeto, and make it easy to transfer. So a little of both ;) If its enough for you or not really depends on a lot of factors, like how much rock you have, how big the tank is, etc. It all depends on how well your tank can sustain pods. But the bucket does pretty well. I'm able to harvest a decent amount every two weeks or so.

1 person likes this.
  12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Easy guys, that Bucket O' Pods is patented :D

If you're concerned, make two buckets. Buy another 1000 or 2000 pods and split them into the buckets, let them eat and have at it, then shake the sponges in every now and then. Pack knows much more about this than I do, cause he's the guru who's kept a mandarin successfully in a fugeless 40 gallon. :D

1 person likes this.