Real Ocean Water vs Synthetic water??

Discussion in 'Salt' started by TheSurgeonSween, Feb 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

hahahha

2. Click Here!

3. ReefPlayground

You aso have to take into account the amount of agricultural and street run off we get out here in SoCal. The beaches out here close down for weeks at a time at least once a year due to "high toxicity". Look at San Pedro / Long Beach area, It's a toxic wasteland, they have regular closures around there all the time.

There are 8 beach closures as I type this right now bellow San Diego.

I personally try to avoid fertilizers and antibiotics in my reef aquariums ;p

As far as shows go, those systems are set-up and running for days, not months or years.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  4. ReefPlayground

and LA County has 16 alerts on its beaches atm as well....If I cant swim in it, I aint using it;p

5. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

to my thinking, not using NSW is like saying natural spring water collected correctly is a bad thing too, this may be true in certain areas of the country, but over all, natural spring water is far better then even RO/DI.

Yes it is true there might be things in NSW that are not desirable, but that is why our critters have an immune system and methods of taking care of what nature throws at them, and this promotes a healthly enviroment as well.

unless you have tank raised critters- I believe clean NSW is the best way to go.

Our own Henry Dorly Zoo uses NSW that is trucked in.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  6. ReefPlayground

Thats a very big misconstruction, comparing apples to oranges is not exactly the same thing as comparing apples to apples.

The only reason some public aquariums use nsw is because its cheaper. Not because its somehow better, and its not "if" it has something in it, but "whats" in it, lol.