Reading API tests

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Peredhil, Nov 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

That's what I meant about the ink---I can read mine great if I go outside and its sunny.

2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Funny thing is/was my dad and his brother owned the printing company, both are extremely color blind. I always thought that was funny.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

For the most part, I think that API test kits are good with the colors with the exception of No3. The first 3 colors are almost alike. Luna

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

PO4 is awful too and not very prescise. Also have you ever seen their Cu test? It doesn't even read low enough for a SAFE recommended Cu level!

6. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'm really surprised that no one has automated this yet. So they have monitoring systems that watch PH and temp. Why not the rest. That's how I would roll if they had it! ;)

7. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

I'm always afraid of my readings not being accurate...i feel like 75% of the time i guess on the color matching, it shouldn't be like that!!

Why can't the just make a test kit that's accurate and just gives a number!! That's all i ask!!

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

"werd"

10. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

i hate API kits. I cant read any of the colors, the actual lines marked on the test vials are not 5 ml as they should be according to the directions ( i checked it with a syringe from a elos kit) and did i mention i cant see the colors. They are about as useful to me as a test strip. If you really care to get any sort of readings that are close to being somewhat accurate than buy elos test kits or salifert test kits. otherwise if you cant tell what the test is reading than what good is testing at all?

11. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

Because then who would spend hundreds of dollars on pinpoint monitors.

12. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

yeah the PO4 API is terrible. I thought I was the only one getting a weird color not even on the chart. I had to make sure I wasn't using the freshwater charts. I have a Hagen kit too that is decent. Most of the tests are easy to read. PH is not one of them. I need a good Mg kit. Who makes one?