Re: tank setup is it right check pic

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by karloz, Apr 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karloz

karloz Plankton

is my setup ok please let me know more pics

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Is that a chiller you have you pump hooked too?
    What are those 2 grey things in the middle?
    Oh and welcome to 3reef.
    Looks like a grand start

4. Guest

Guest Guest

hi thanks for your reply iam new here frist pics ever posted the things in the middle are the transformers for the hi meteal lights

5. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Your going to want to get them off the bottom in case of flood so they dont set the house on fire or kill you!

6. karloz

karloz Plankton

i really have nomore space and i really wanted them in the cabnet i made for it what can i do flood ? i dont think i should ever have one thats why i am checkin every inch of plumping everything is sealed thight

7. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Get the transformers or ballasts or whatever off the floor either add a shelf or mount directly to the inside of the cabinet. Water and electricity don't mix especially in large amounts of both. Leaky plumbing is only one reason for floods the list of others is long. What is hooked up to the other side of the chiller? it looks like nothing in the pic. Your lighting schedule may vary from initial cycle to final stage of tank where are you in the cycle and what do you have in the tank now? more info is needed to help you

8. Click Here!

9. karloz

karloz Plankton

ok thanks for all ur feed back on top of chiller theres nothing finishing plumbing there a blower i mounted on top blowing air on ballast and chiller but nothing is on yet theres no water in tank we turned on the lights for the frist time today 4 blue power compacts and 2 hi metel lights iam about to finsh up just small details left so excited very close to finish i have a diver who gets me the rocks live and fishes he delivers but not there yet need sand and sea water needs to be delivered iam not sure about the hours i should leave the lights on the tank is gonna be a reef tank with some fishes its in garage from one side and u view in living room

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Putting the ballast in the stand like that is a big mistake and you will thanks us later for telling you this.
    Overflow or a flood may occur when you lose power and you sump fills up and overflows in the tank stand. most people put them as far as possible from the aquarium.

It that a chiller heater combo?
    Where is your skimmer?
    You will have a long wait if you are now just starting up the tank. Go slow and let it cycle.

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I don't want to sound like a broken record but I would mount the Transformers on the back wall of the stand as high as they will go. I would even go so far as to then install a water guard below them.
    Karloz were do you live? The reason is I would love to get LR and sea water delivered but it's very expensive.
    I would say you should have your MH lights on for between 8-10 hours/day and your Blue PCs for about 12.
    After you have rock, sand and water you need to start checking your Ammonia and nitrite levels. Check out the "STEPS" links on the left side of the page. They will help

oh and Welcome to 3REEF.

Jason

12. karloz

karloz Plankton

HI GUYS TANKS FOR ALL UR FEED BACKS THE TO BALLASTS FROM THE HI METEL LIGHTS ARE IN WOOD STAND OF T HERE ON THERE A FOOT OF THE FLOOR ALSO I LIVE IN MIAMI FLORIDA TO J.MACKENZIE SORRY BUDDY MY HOURS OF LIGHT WILL VARY U SAY ?DUE TO THE INITAL CYCLE AND THEN THE FINAL CYCLE WHAT ARE INITAL START UP HOURS OF LIGHT ?SKIMMER I DONT HAVE ONE YET WILL I REALLY NEED ON AND EHAT ARE THEY FOR HELP!!!!!!!!