RBTA - Which Tank?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Marshall O, May 4, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Which tank to put my RBTA and Clowns?

1. Thriving 125 mixed reef

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. New 50 rimless cube that will be SPS tank

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Right now I have a ~5" RBTA in my JBJ 28. I am going to be moving this tank to my work, and the RBTA is staying with me. So which tank to move it to? Options are my 125, which is a mixed reef, or my newly setup 50 gallon rimless, which will be an SPS tank. Both tanks have more than enough lighting. Both have controllers, and the same filtration (skimmers, 'fuge, carbon).

My "fear" of putting it in my 125 is that it is fairly well stocked with corals. Mostly frags, and there is definitely still room for one. Where as the 50 just has live rock right now, so no issues there.

And final consideration is that whichever tank the RBTA goes in, so will my pair of Occy Clowns that are currently in my 46QT.

Thoughts? I did a poll just to make it fun.

2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

My only concern with the 50 is that it is new. If it is not completely cycled this could put a lot of stress not he hem, particularly after moving it. Are you going to have to get it to release his foot or is he attached to a rock that you can move?

1 person likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Marshall I voted for the cube because the anemone will have room to roam without damaging corals during acclimation.

1 person likes this.
  5. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

I voted cube, because a anemone and clown set up, are amazing, you can use this as a centre piece and gown the tank round it.

I can t wait to see it!

1 person likes this.
  6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

While the 50 is a new setup, it has plenty of live rock from my other tanks. So no cycle. I plan to move the rock it is attached to into whatever tank I move it to.

This was my thought as well. A little backwards, as the norm is to put them into well established tanks. This is how I was leaning.

Thank you both for your thoughts :)

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Thanks Ken!

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I would have voted "Neither", but you forgot that option. :D

Lots of folks get away with having a BTA in a reef tank, some just not as long as others. While they're not well known for wandering aimlessly or relentlessly like some other species, there will always be the potential for it to move and kill corals or sessile inverts.

Just my opinion, of course. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

That's because its not an option 8) But I appreciate your thoughts either way. I do realize there is a chance they can wander. My hope is getting it acclimated and attached before any corals, and hopefully hosting my Clowns, it will stay put.

That's the plan anyways; we'll see what actually happens!

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I voted mixed reef because the anemone can expand and sting corals in the sps tank - I would think limiting the space available for sps. I could be wrong on that (I frequently am :)) not knowing if sps pack a more powerful punch toward an anemone??

1 person likes this.
  12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

That does tend to help. Here's hoping for ya! :thumb_up: