RBTA on the move

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Ryland, Sep 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Ive had a RBTA for about 4 months. I placed him on a rock ledge when I first introduced him to the aquarium. The RBTA liked it there and backed up to the rock behind it and wedged itself in. It never moved from there. I feed it once sometimes twice a week with mysis. All parameters are in check.
    ph 8.3
    amonia 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 0
    phos 0
    calc 380
    alk 8
    current temp 80 and varies between 80-82 daily. I have a 125 display with a large sump/fuge with triple metal halides. I know these guys are prone to move but even after they have been in place for a long period of time? I noticed him hanging off the bottom of the rock he was originally placed on just before lights out. Not deflated, has good coloration, and ate less than a week ago. Whats the problem here?

2. Click Here!

3. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Basicly what I am asking is do I need to be worried about this? Ive never seen this behavior after they seem to find thier spot especially when they are hanging upside down.

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

6. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Did you add powerheads or move them at all? And new adds to the tank? I had one in my tank for a yr and it randomly decided to move so no big deal ime id raise you alk tho, and calcium, how long has your system been running?

7. papareef

papareef Feather Duster

rbta moving

I placed my rbta on a rock almost 4 years ago,never left the top of that rock.Until...it moved over to a shelf rock,hanging underneath it.I couldn't risk it wandering through a tank full of acroporas.Got rid of it,and the 2 clown it hosted.Now i just closed the deal on a blue carpet anemone..wish me luck !! had to have it :)

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Its been up for well over a year. I just recently in the last 2 months started adding small doses of calcium due to low calcium levels. I would like to have a 450 calcium level. I dont want to lower my alk though. So I am taking things slow. Basicaly I dont need to worry about anything and he will find his spot and stay there? Just curious. I dont want him attacking other corals.

10. Shackman23

Well he will sting corals if they come in contact, you want to raise your alk, which in turn will keep calcium steady and higher i keep my alk at 11 and calcium at 480 he may be getting iritated by lower alk its sort of like dry skin for us uncomfortable

11. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I use seachem reef calcium complete. It includes mag and strontium. What should I look for to raise my alk? FYI I dose with coral builder to maintain my ph

12. Shackman23

I dose a 2 part calcium/alk buffer once your alkalinity is up, your ph will also stabilize and you wont need to dose at all, or as much... ph swings are a big no no with nems, your water parameters have to be very stable for them to be healthy, i use c-balance by two little fishies, its cheap and does the trick, or you can get reef builder powder, and raise it that way, just BE careful not to bring it up so fast, and is your test kit accurate, check all this before adding anything into your tank, bring it up over a few hours not all at once, you dont want to shock your system, just set up a drip of kalk and it'll stabilize everything for you over time!! :D hope this helps!!