RBTA mouth still protruding - Help!!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by laurat, Jun 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. laurat

laurat Astrea Snail

My water was out of wack. Did a water change today. RT's mouth was still protruding after. Seems to be more toward the side. Fed some squid tonight. Stuck to it right away. Trying to intake it. Stayed around to protect it from the hermits that was trying to steal it. Still not sure why mouth is protruding. Has this happened to anyone else???? I have added a night pic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

What was out of whack? Temp? SG? PH? Ammonia? Nitrates? How far out was it? Did the water change correct it?

While a reduction in nutrients is good, too much change too rapidly in temp, SG or PH can be as detrimental as the wrong readings. Keep a close eye on him- he should show some change in a day or two, hopefully for the better. The fact that he's trying to feed is a good sign.

It might help if you posted your current parameters...

4. laurat

laurat Astrea Snail

Temp is a constant 80-82. Little high, but other corals have no issues. Ph is perfect. 8.1-8.2. Salinity 1.23 Had .25 amon. and 10 on nitrates. Just added him with two other fish so I didn't want to do a water change yet. Should be inline now.

5. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Relax, relax, relax! Give that thing some time. Its eating so its not doing that bad. They dont stay completely fluffed up and full blown 24/7, they inflate, deflate, take a dump lots of things. Slow down. lol.

It also doesnt help when you say your water is out of wack. What is the param's? Specific for us helps you.

6. laurat

laurat Astrea Snail

Thanks. Worried!! He's just so cool. I will be patient!

7. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

How long has he been like this? I know you posted for help on the 9th after you got him. Has it been a week...more....less?

Many anemones are wild caught, quaranteened a week or so, then shipped off the the LFS where they should remain for a period of time before being sold which will allow them to heal from the trauma they have gone through.

Many LFS will sell them, many times the next day after receiving them, causing them to be even more stressed out. Once they get to your home, they are usually so stressed that they need a healing period.

This is a time for them to be left alone, aside from feedings which I always wait to do at least 5 days, and it gives them a time to settle into their new enviroment.

None of my anemones have ever done this. Yours is a different situation then any I've had.... But he doesn't look any worse, has not died, and is still eating. That really is a good sign in my opinion. It's not dead yet so it still has a fighting chance.

Just remember Nems can totally rip themselves into two pieces and can still come back and be beautiful. Some Nems can be propogated and still recover.

If he was mine, I would feed him small amounts of food a couple times a week, make sure the water quality is great, proper lighting, and try to keep from touching him for awhile.

Be sure to keep us informed on his progress. Good luck I hope he gets better.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. laurat

laurat Astrea Snail

He still looks the same and its been over two weeks. Rest of him looks very healthy, just that mouth still sticking out. Still seems to eat. I target feed him so he will get the food before my shrimp comes in and swoops it away. Will take your advise and give him small amounts a couple times a week. He started to move, ended up moving himself out of the light, then moved back. Been there ever since. Guess I will just wait and see.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would only feed once a week a small piece of raw seafood like shrimp, scallops, fish.
    Anemones have slow digestive tracts food given too frequently or too large of pieces has the potential to decay causing a deadly bacterial infection quickly.

It's my belief that your anemone just has a malformation, maybe caused but an unsuccessful attempt to split or just unusual growth. If it were something more severe I believe the anemone would be dead already.

11. laurat

laurat Astrea Snail

Thanks, I am still remaining optimistic!!! He is georgous otherwise.

12. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

I'm just guesting at this but, this is what might be happening. xooxanthellae is the algae that live's within the coral and is it's life's blood,it grows from sunshine, if a coral that live's on this algae is placed from high to low or low to high lighting it may adjust its xooxanthellae by spiting it out, this sometimes causing the mouth to turn inside out. they can recover from this in time. I hope this helps
    James