RB LED for a 75g *update*

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by Blue Falcon, Sep 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

I'm planning on switching from T5's to LED because i'm tired of the reoccurring cost of bulbs every year and I have heard nothing but good things about reef breeders so I know that I want either 2 of the value fixtures OR one photon 32" over the top of my 75 gallon mixed reef. I just cant decide which ones to go with. I do like the controllability of of the photon 32" but I'm not sure which would give the best coverage for my tank since I do have a center brace. Also I'm not sure if I should go with 120 degree optics or 90 degree optics. FWIW I do like to hang my lights about a foot off the tank so I can work around in the tank easier.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

The more I look at them the more I like the photon 32 IF it will cover the tank fine. I like that it has one power chord rather than having 4 if i got the 2 value fixtures. And having the lights come on and go off slowly sure would be nice. I read on another thread about a 4' optics layout for the photon 32. Would that be a custom layout option? I suppose I could always get the 90 degree optics and remove a few of the optics on the far ends to get better coverage at the edges of the tank.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  4. Rarend99

Rarend99 Coral Banded Shrimp

I would get the photon series, much better to have controllability

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

One will be fine even with a center brace.I would hang it at 10-12 inches.;)

6. paul.brandon83

paul.brandon83 Plankton

The owner said that he runs a 32" over his 75 gallon

7. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Why not go with the Photon48, for $50 more it will work much better on a 4 foot tank, and it has a gap for the center brace.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

OOOPS.Sorry Logan didn't realize he was asking you.lol

10. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Dont worry about it, thats what forums are for, right? :)

11. Vinnyboombatz

Agreed but this is YOUR section.lol;D

12. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

If I wanted to just ask logan I would have sent him an email. I posted on the forum for everyones opinion. So please, feel free to comment.

Logan, I had not really thought about the 48", mainly because I knew alot of the light would be wasted to spill over. Since I like to hang my lights pretty high off the tank for various reasons. Currently I'm running a 36" 6x39W ATI sunpower T5 on the 48" tank and my wife still complains about light spill, since the tank is right beside the couch. Actually I have a peice of cardboard taped to the side of the light so it doesnt shine in your eyes when your watching TV. lol

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013