Rate This Light Fixture

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by SyntheticBreed, Feb 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SyntheticBreed

SyntheticBreed Feather Duster

I am planning a 55g tank build and this time around I plan to do some corals and an anemone. The main problem I come across is I'm terrible with lighting. How would you rate this 48" light fixture.

EDIT: I currently have 48" Solarmax H.O with 8 x MC. LT. LED and 2 x 54W T5-HO (I can only guess what these specs mean, as I said I'm terrible with lighting) and Ive heard people using two different lighting bars.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

go led;) reefbreeders.com, $200 no bulbs to buy

4. chealy

chealy Spaghetti Worm

I agree with cosmo, I am ordering my reef breeder value fixture later next week. Very excited to start growing some corals!

5. SyntheticBreed

And that light fixture would be ideal for corals/anemones? Another problem with the small rectangle units is my tank has a center brace. Is the unit large enough so that the inch and a half of plastic wont block out to much of the light?

1 person likes this.
  6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I agree that this would be a great fixture for a 55g but you would be able to get more bang for your buck with LED along with a lower cost within a year with bulb replacements.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

2 would grow ANYTHING, 1 will just limit where you can put stuff. I have 1 over 1/2 my 90G and its growing clams at 20"s deep no prob

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah, you'll want to replace the stock bulbs ASAP and thats another $100

2 of the reefbreeders shipped is $360 and plus you can control the light output with knobs, so you can turn the whites off and watch the colors make your corals GLOW, good stuff;)

10. SyntheticBreed

you've all sold me. Ill order two of them soon. Now I read somewhere that LEDs need to be away from the tank, hung or otherwise. My set up is such where I cannot hand my fixtures. How would you go about working around this?

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

why can't you hang them?

but you can build mounts for them, use the search bar under led lighting, I think there are a few threads.

But IMO, I'd hang them, they weight nothing, a small hook in the ceiling and done

12. SyntheticBreed

My tank is under an odd shaped overhang. Ill have to look into it but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work out.

Could I lay them on a glass canopy?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013