Rapid salinity drop, corals unhappy.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jrwoltman, Sep 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

Unbeknownst to me, the Aquarium Adventure store where I purchase my water, sold me 30 gallons of saltwater at 1.005. The manager said the water in the holding tank had salinty that was too high and that he would adjust it for me. Needless to say, he adjusted it. My salinity has been off a little, but I attributed it to just over-topping off with RO.

Last night I did a 15 gallon water change (75 gallon tank/30 gallon sump)and my salinty dropped from 1.024 to 1.019. My corals look awful and I am totally freaking out. I won't be able to attend to my tank for another 4 1/2 hours, how concerned should I be?

Please, I don't need any lectures about testing water before I put it in my tank. I have always counted on them before and had no problems.

I am still waiting for a manager to call me back, I spoke to the dog/cat side of the store and that manager asked me if 1.005 is bad for saltwater and if a drop from 1.024 to 1.019 is a bad thing. ARGGGHHH!!!!

Guess I need to start looking into a RO unit and making my own.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

YEah, I agree, this is why you need to do this stuff on your own.

That's a pretty serious drop, but raising it too much too quickly is going to be just as mcuh of a stressor. I would try getting it to 1.022 over a couple hours tonight, by using a high-concentration mix and dripping it in the tank. Then, slower back up to 1.025; about .001 a day.

2 people like this.
  4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

First place relax, things should be just fine 1.19 is low but not that low, the reason they look like crap is you dropped it quickly and the one thing you do not want to do is raise it to quickly.

I have had my pump powered top off unit pump enough RO water into my tank to drop my salinity down to 1.15 and lower several times which is way I now have a gravity fed system.

When you get home put some salt into a bucket and add 2 gallons or so of water. you want the salinity to read off the chart. I usually put at least 6 cups to start. Then over the few hours or so just add some to your sump carefully watching it so you don't go over 1.25. I usually take at least 6 to 10 hours to raise it up (sorry going to be a late night for your) this is how I have done it and never had any issues. Oh yeah, you tank is going to look just a bit cloudy, will not hurt a thing and will go away.

Told you that you should look for a RO unit didn't I! And no lectures but you are right ALWAYS check the salinity of any water before adding it to the tank, heck I check my water several times before using it and I make it.

Don't worry if you lose a few things, I will replace anything that I have given you with new ones OK. And if I have something that you had an lose I will replace it to.

And by the way did you get my response to your PM the other day, I know JARC was having some issues and I don't kw if it went through.

2 people like this.
  5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I agree, you have to check everything you put in your tank. Raising the salinity fast is far worse than lowering it, so go slow.

BTW, it's 1.025

1 person likes this.
  6. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

You're right. I have been slowly trying to raise the salinity since 7:00 and will be up for a longtime tonight. Thank you for the response and the good advice.

Jim

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I always just waited for evaporation to do it for me and replaced with 1.025 water

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

Gazog,

You are a good friend, as always I appreciate your help and advice. All the corals I got from you are doing much better than those I got from Aquarium Adventure. The only exception is the small paly frag, I think he is in coral heaven. AA corals: plate coral gone, lost one blastomussa head, open brain looking not happy, etc. Hopefully everything else will recover.

Jim

10. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

With my salinty at 1.019, my corals looking less than happy, and me totally freaking out and losing my mind, I am going to slowly try to increase my salinity at least to 1.022. Hopefully, I will be in bed before 1:00 Central.

Like you said though, I do normally let evaporation help increase my salinity. Thanks for the good advice though.

11. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

I will, thanks for the advice. LOL, don't worry, I am not shooting for 1.25 and I know he meant 1.025 too.

12. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

Well, it's 11:07 here and I have slowly brought it up from 1.019 to 1.021 in a little more than 3 hours. Hopefully, I can get it up to 1.022 or 1.023 before I succumb to sleep. Then, my wife can take over tomorrow.