Rapid LED or Aquastyle LED??

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by turbokimmees, Feb 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

but are those maxwell drivers with the Aqua? If so, ya may wanna save about $125-150 to upgrade the drivers in the future! IMO, i've never heard 1 complaint about Rapidled and meanwell drivers, but have heard a fair share of complaints and aquastyle and specifically the maxwell drivers! I'd wait a week or so ad save up the cash!IMO, but good luck in whatever you choose! let us know!

2. Click Here!

3. turbokimmees

turbokimmees Astrea Snail

Well here is what I am thinking and willingto do

1 4.25-23HS 4.25" x 23" Aluminum Heat Sink $35.00 $35.00

1 36-KIT-R5-Dimmable 36 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers $280.00 $280.00

1 8 LED Violet UV Kit $59.00 $59.00

Sub-Total $374.00

Shipping: USPS Priority Mail (DHL for international) $0.00

Sales Tax $0.00

Total Due: $374.00

Or i can go with (2) 4x16 heat sinks for $389

If i do one heatsink i can buy 3 potentiometer to dim the unit:-D

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Sounds like a good plan! I'd get the 2 heat sinks though so you'll have more room to add other colors later if you choose!

Congrats on narrowing it down, it can get very confusing and frustrating, but your saving yourself cash in the long run this way!;)

5. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Def do 2 heat sinks to cover the tank

6. turbokimmees

turbokimmees Astrea Snail

Ok...so..let's talk about color of the LED? seem like the 36LED kit come with 18 XP-G R5 cool white and 18 Royal blue ...what's the difference between cool white and natural white? Any suggestion?

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

coylee evolved, exactlyob, biocube(sorry the ones i'm missing) are the pro's on colors, but those guys seem to recommend mixing up the blues and adding a few neutral whites to spread the spectrum out!

I left it as is, knowing that as more colors and options come out, i'll start playing around and tinker it to my liking!

10. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

NW are more yellow-white than the CW, I went with mostly only 6 NW in my 48 LED string. I thank Cosmo, but I'm no expert in this lol. Right now I have 18 RB, 24 CW, and 6 NW (there was a mix up and I was sent 6 CW in place of 6 RB, but I kept them anyway). If I were to do it over I would have went a little more "blue" on the colours. Also I am thinking of adding in some UV and if I don't upgrade (which I'm sure I am as wife likes big fish), I'll be ordering them soon. I would skip the red, I like the idea of the reds and they certainly would help, but from what I read they are hard to blend in with the rest of the lights.

I guess we should ask do you prefer the "whiter" 10K look or the "bluer" 20K look? Somewhere in between?

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Mike from rapid said they're getting in UV plug and play's in a few weeks! That should make the decision easier! I'm gonna get about 8 to add to my 48! Plus that gives me a few weeks of no more money going out! Have a GF myself none too happy about the amount of money getting poured in this tank! She loves it, but also loves nice dinners!lol

12. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

^ A girlfriend is much easier to manage than a wife when it comes to finances lol...

To the OP I am glad to see that you are narrowing it down and getting a fixture that you are happy with and comfortable paying for :)