Rapid death of a coral in <24 hours (pictures)

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Jake, Nov 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

Literally overnight, this small grape monti frag (~1 inch across) lost half of its tissue. Tissue loss with just a few hours is noticeable with my bare eyes. Any one know what this could be?

I have many other SPS frags, acro, monti, porites and several other unknowns, and the grape monti is the only one that seems to be in poor health (looks like all tissue will be gone in another hour or two). Should I remove it? I'm leaning to yes as it doesn't look like the frag will recover.

October 31st, 2011
    [​IMG]

3:30 pm, November 25th
    [​IMG]

6:30 pm, November 25th - noticeable tissue loss within 3 hours.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Sounds like RTN. Or rapid tissue necrosis. It is probably a goner. Im sorry to hear.

Here is a link better discribing the disease. Its not a fun one to battle.

ReefHQ Aquarium :: Coral Disease

1 person likes this.
  4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It is called RTN, Rapid Tissue Necrosis. It is very difficult to stop once it starts. Good acclimation to include the use of iodine, CoralRx or ReVive seems to help prevent it. A dip in any of those remedies after fragging back 1/4" into the healthy part of the coral is fairly successful.

1 person likes this.
  5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

It's almost always onset by something (RTN, that is).

The usual suspects: Alk swings, temp swings, salinity swings, ammonia spike, stray voltage.

6. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

Thanks for the help guys.

It may have been an alk swing as I recently installed an automatic doser for my 2-part solution. I can't eliminate stray voltage either.

I'll remove the coral to prevent it from spreading.

7. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

I always tell people, SPS aren't really that much harder to keep than other corals, just a bit different, but they are VERY unforgiving.

8. Click Here!

9. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I should have mentioned earlier that my yellow watchman goby (1st picture) has a tendency to land on the coral. Is it possible that the goby caused the RTN?

Now about 2.5 hours since the last picture there is only a very small sliver of tissue left :( That was my favorite monti frag too.... and a pretty fast way to see $15 disintegrate.

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Doubtful the Goby was to blame.

I'd put my money on an Alk spike.

If all you have are small frags of SPS at this time, you won't need to dose much Alk per day.

What are you dosing and how much right now?

11. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

8 mL/day each part (B-ionic) in my ~60 gallon system.

My Ca is stable at 470 ppm and KH is always between 7-8 degrees. pH varies from 7.9-8.05 daily. I'd like a higher KH/pH, but for now I'm happy with the consistency as the pH always seems to settle into that range regardless of what I do.

I installed an Aqua Medic reef doser last week to automate dosing. I've tested it to make sure it is dispensing each part in the correct amounts. Although now I wish I purchased a different doser... the reef doser is a pain.

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Those numbers certainly seem reasonable...

Sometimes it does just "happens" too, without a known cause.

I've also seem a lack of flow to blame, but this could just be one of those mystery cases.

1 person likes this.