Rapid change in salt brands

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Inertiatic, Jan 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

I'm looking to ditch my Oceanic salt because I am just not pleased with it. I have this feeling that I might have a bad batch, but I don't really like the ridiculous high Calcium it contains and every batch of saltwater I've made with this new container of it has made my water cloudy. With my recent loses, I wanna dump this salt now before it causes any more deaths down the line (if it indeed was the source).

With that said, is it possible to do a drastic change in salt brands? I've read that people recommend slowly mixing in the old salt with the new, but I don't really want to use the Oceanic salt anymore.

Also, anyone have any suggestions for a similar salt brand or a good one. Seems like everyone has their own preference, so I would love to hear them.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

For LPS/SPS dominant tanks, a lot of people like Reef Crystals or Red Sea Coral Pro. It won't hurt anything to switch, just start using the new salt for normal routine water changes.

4. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

i am a big fan of kent salt. i switched from instant ocean. i didn't do any mixing with the old. i love the kent, no problems at all with perfect calcium.

5. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I really like the Tropic Marin pro reef I got

6. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

I'm pretty happy with Coralife, LOL! This is one of those topics where everyone has a favorite for one reason of another.

As far as switching, unless you're planning a really large WC I don't see any issues.

7. xxredxpandaxx

xxredxpandaxx Coral Banded Shrimp

I have heard of people just changing without mixing the two different brands and having no problems. I really like my reef crystals from instant ocean!

8. Click Here!

9. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

Glad to know I can just start water changes with the new salt, thank you guys.

I think I will try out some Reef Crystals due to the fair price.

10. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I really like my salinity form seachem!
    But I would recommend reefsalt by seachem for you!!