Random questions from a beginner

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by willertac, Dec 30, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. willertac

willertac Plankton

I'm only new to saltwater; I have been keeping freshwater fish for a very long time, and I've been observing my step-mom's tank for the year that she has had it running, and now I know what I definitely will and will not do with my water and fish. I've read many things on care and spent the past year carefully choosing my equipment and deciding my path. But there are still some things that cannot be answered by watching her tank and her lack of QT and reading all I have. So, that's where you guys hopefully come in.

The following questions are from random aspects of the hobby.
    1. What is an ideal size for a QT (I plan on having only one tank for medical and acclimation)?
    2. If I eventually plan on going reef, what lighting might be the best for me (... I have a limited budget...)?
    3. I have an Aqueon 55/75... would adding an Aquaclear 110 work, or should I look for more filtration? (I also have a Reef Octopus BH100 skimmer, 2 Koralia 425 powerheads, and at least 70 lbs of base rock for a 55g tank)
    4. How does one quarantine live rock?
    5. When can corals, other invertebrates (snails, shrimp, clams, etc), and LR be added?
    6. How would one quarantine corals?

All I'm waiting on is a hose for my RO/DI system to connect to... and possibly some other things based on your answers.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well those are a lot of good questions.

1. Depends on what type of fish you want to QT. I think a 20 is ideal for smaller fish like clowns, damsel, gobies.....What size is your display?
    2. Depends on your budget. You can go from Power Compacts which will get the job done with limited results or a budget LED fixture like Reefbreeders?
    3. I have no idea.
    4. Today I actually failed at this. Look at the rock before purchase. Look for Aiptasia, Majano, Hyroids, nasty algae. Do not purchase rock with these pests. You can store or recycle rock in rubber maid type containers with some flow. Initial observation is key.
    5. You can add LR once the specific gravity and temp are appropriate. Fish and inverts you should wait until after you see an initial Ammonia spike and then nitrates. Once you have no detectable ammonia or nitrite values you can slowly stock the tank. Roughly 4-6 weeks is a safe estimate.
    6. Again, initial observation and recognizing the usual suspects is key. Dipping corals can be of some assist. Will you have the lighting needed to QT stony corals.

o_O

mdbostwick likes this.
  4. willertac

willertac Plankton

The display is a 55 gallon.
    For the lights, I was looking for something that would allow me to keep various types of corals, but as with everything else in the hobby, I'm expecting that not to come as cheap as I might hope. So I guess no specific budget, I might just have to work it out. Then I'd have to look for one for the QT... good point.

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

1 Most QTs are fairly small. Mine is a 10g which will work for most anything.
    2 Your 3 options for lighting a reef with SPS Anemones, and some LPS are Metal Halide, T5HO, and LED. Looking on Craigslist and DIY projects will save you money here.
    3 Power filters are decent for fish only but if you want to get into coral you will probably want a sump.
    4. Live rock needs to be cured before it goes into a tank with livestock. So there is usually at least a mini cycle when adding new liverock that is already cured.
    5 LR can be added day 1 for cycling. Everything else needs to wait until you have finished cycling and you have 0 ammonia and 0 Nitrites. With LPS and SPS coral you will want to make sure your Magnesium Calcium and Alkalinity are in order.
    6 Dip coral. I think i use Coral Rx

Corailline likes this.
  6. mdbostwick

You beat me to it Cheryl. +1 for all Corailline says as well!

7. willertac

willertac Plankton

I just remembered another thing I had wanted to ask.
    Can I use freshwater bacteria in saltwater systems? I have a bag of gravel that has been soaking in one of my Freshwater tanks as to transfer bacteria into it, and I was wondering if the bacteria would be able to survive in saltwater.

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

I believe it is different types of bacteria for SW and FW, but i am no expert.

10. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I ran a 55g reef with a aquaclear hob filter with my carbon etc, plus i had a hob skimmer. I had t5ho's for lighting.
    i had a lot of corals that were very happy and growing, my perameters were spot on.

I would add all your liverock at the time of cycling

11. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I don't think the freshwater bacteria will help in SW.

You don't know whats in the gravel from the freshwater tank, I would be concerned of adding it to the sw

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Try going with a sump. Since this is your first salt tank it will make things easier for the long haul. I've kept a successful reef with HOB filters and skimmers but it was difficult to maintain. Try to keep it simple. A sump, good skimmer and a nice 4x54 watt T5 setup and you'll have a nice tank.

Billme likes this.