raising temp to clear ICH

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by dazztee, Dec 22, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dazztee

dazztee Plankton

75 gal 40lbs LR . new fish introduced last week got white spot got ill so i flushed it, two clowns remain an have been put into a Quarrantene tank(EVERY ONE should hav one!!) with copper treatment 3 days now, im told raising temp in main tank 86f an above will kill of ich in tank nows it empty ..but how high a temp is safe for my live rock an crabs etc.. any suggestions on wot to do with main tank??

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

If these were Fresh Water fish then yes. Marine ich is different from what I have been told and raising the temp will not work.
    How old is this tank?
    What kind of water do use for change and top off?
    If needing to get rid of a fish the best way is to bag it and freeze it not flushing it.

Good information linked below---------->

Marine ICH click here

4. dazztee

dazztee Plankton

well tank is about 8 weeks i use RO water instant ocean salt, flouresents ,actinic and unidentified white tubes.. as for flushing fish as aposed to freezing, i find a toilet bowl with urine already init kills the fish in under 2 seconds which is far quicker than in a freezer im sure, but i guess its personel preference Ha Ha cheers

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Has the tank gone through it's cycle yet? What are the readings from Ammonia and nitrite?

J

6. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Why raise the temp?I actually lower temp and salinity for ICH problems. the reason I ask why is if all the fish are out of the tank the ICH should die off without a host I think the overall life cycle is 14 days so if the fish are out and in your qt keep them happy there and the tank will take care of the ICH. Why the hurry to flush ill fish if you have a qt why not medicate and see if you could cure it? How long have you been in the fish hobby? reef in particular? knee jerk or quick panics at the first sign of trouble will cost you tons of $$$ and make the hobby too much work.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

The only ways to rid ich is hyposalinity and copper. This should be done in a quarantine tank. Bring the salinity down to 1.009 over 3 days. Your fish should stay at 1.009 for 5 weeks. Leave your reef tank empy for 5 or 6 weeks. If ich does not have a host it will die and your reef tank will be ich free. Copper will also work in a quarantine tank.

8. Click Here!

9. dazztee

dazztee Plankton

Title:"Three Steps To A Reef Aquarium - Forums. - Dazz woz here!!!!!!!"-->
    well phill the reason i had a knee jerk and throw the fish away cos it had been in the QT tank for a week and was going black,swimming sideways,breathing like a jelly fish and swimming like a sea slug so i put it out of its misery,And i have been into the hobby for 3 months read about 4 books been on countless forums talked to loads of people like your self and found lots of useful advice lots of crap advice and lots of sarcasm, but all the same thank you for your advice il shall keep the tank empty for 14 days and see how it goes with the other fish inQT i will keep you informed Thanks To Every One for all the advice Brilliant SITE ...

10. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Yep sounds like the fish had a serious case of the deads! my advice to you as a newbie is listen to the good advice and not the crap LOL no really one of the tips I give is find a source you can trust and stay with it, you can ask 5 people the same question and get 5 different answers. I like this site and suggest it to anyone attempting a reef. 3 months sounds like the tank may not have even run its full cycle and remember not only do you stress the fish if you add to many too fast but you stress the tank. Alot of times people won'y learn the bio cycle of a tank and think just because its been up a while its ok to go crazy. The bacteria load changes with every addition and subtraction to the tank even on "bulletproof" tanks (large amount of lr and dsb/established for year or more) you can be disruptive if you do too much too quickly. Good luck and its nice to have you with us!

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=dazztee link=board=General;num=1072114841;start=0#2 date=12/22/03 at 12:00:03]as for flushing fish as aposed to freezing, i find a toilet bowl with urine already init kills the fish in under 2 seconds which is far quicker than in a freezer im sure, but i guess its personel preference Ha Ha cheers[/quote]

I would really find it hard to believe that urine would kill a fish in under 2 seconds. The marine fish will live for up to an hour before it will suffer and die in waste water. This is curl punishment IMO. Freezing the fish also kills the disease that infects the fish. You have the fish in a plastic bag and the disease will not transmit onto something else and will not go to your water treatment plant for recycle. Freezing the disease fish kills it within 5 minutes, The only faster way to kill it would be hitting very hard on the head.
    Bag it, freeze it, trash it.

12. dazztee

dazztee Plankton

well nautilus all i can say to that is i know wot im talking about cos i tried an the fish spazzed out in under 2 seconds . now if u aint tried it then u dont know wot ur on about do ya!, but if u av tried it an it didnt work the same as mine ......then my piss is obviosly stronger than yours.