Rainbow shark?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by MsCoral2004, Nov 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MsCoral2004

MsCoral2004 Plankton

Does anyone know how big rainbow sharks get?  I have one in a 10 gal tank...Going this weekend to but a bigger tank..Just wondering which size I should get for him. He has 2 room mates 2 tetras that are getting HUGE!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. MsCoral2004

MsCoral2004 Plankton

Anybody? [smiley=bouncylaugh.gif]

4. beaverspork

beaverspork Astrea Snail

They get 6" or so... can be mean and kill other fish.

5. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

I would say your rainbow shark will usually grow to the confinements of the tank it's kept in. I like to have as large an aquarium as I have room for. The more water capacity the better. :) Certainly if you doubble in size it wouldn't hurt. JMO. Rainbows can be aggressive sometimes so it's good to have space for their own territory.
    Scott

6. MsCoral2004

MsCoral2004 Plankton

thanks.. My tetras are getting bigger than him. I bought him for my b/f. He liked him..I didnt think Tetras were aggressive but I think those 2 gang up on him. They pick on him more than he does to them. Well for right now Im just gonna get the 30. That should be okay for them for a little while atleast. (I hope) then I will have to invest In a big one..Well when I get my 120 for my SW tank..I'll just have to stick them in the 55! and thats as big of a tank as they are getting! LOL! Thanks again

7. Olyoxenfree

Olyoxenfree Astrea Snail

(Epalzeorhynchos frenatus) they grow 5-7 inches usually and do not like their own kind at all. I would recomend at least a 55 gallon aquarium to house one "shark" with other fish. I would avoid keeping them with small fish (like most tetras) or with fish with long flowy fins (Gouramies and Anglefish) Anyway, what kind of tetras are they?

8. Click Here!

9. sharkbait42

sharkbait42 Plankton

do not keep other sharks like the rainbow or red tail or any other similar sharks with the one you have now. It could get fatal for one of them! They are very aggresive towards their own kind like Olyoxenfree said. Although, the bigger tetras should not be a problem.