Radion XR30w G2 cost analysis

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by RoloSaez, Jan 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Strictly just my thought process for making expensive purchases.

On a 125G tank Measuring 72”L x 28’ H x16” D Would a total of three be needed?
    That cost would be for the Radion XR30w G2 549.00 x 3 = $1647.00 + $181.00 tax Total $1828.00 I would imagine free shipping paying that much.

Add to that two Vortech Mp40’s at $930.00 with the wireless capability built in.

I’m assuming this will eliminate the real need (or want) to own a $524 Neptune controller.
    It will also eliminate the cost of bulb replacements. Lets say 250W MH x 3 to be changed every 9- 12 months or less at roughly anywhere from $50 to $120 x 3 max that’s roughly $360 or more a year when you include tax and shipping. Plus the electric bill from running the lights and the need of an $800.00 chiller I know from experience that removing MH from the mix getting a lower wattage pump and even though I got very Inexpensive LED’s my bill dropped about $20 dollars a month. My chiller was always running a fan to remove chiller heat and a higher wattage pump replaced.

Would you be able to run a USB cable from the lights to lets say a Apple Time capsule and eliminate the need for the reef link? If you could that would eliminate the $200.00 dollar cost for that.
    They are supposed to last about 50,000 hours is the normal assumption.

So math wise……

Radions XR30w G2 x 3 $1828.00
    Vortech Mp40’s x 2 $960.00
    Rail Kit for Mounting Lights $75.00
    Possible need for Reeflink $200.00

Supposed to last you Maintenance free
    hopefully for 15 years.

Grand Total= $3063.00

The old way cost break down

MH Bulb replacements 15 years $5400.00 based on 12 month bulb replacement even more if you followed the 9 month rule. I would image 6 to 8 T5’s would be about half the cost as the MH’s.
    $20.00 a month electric x 12 months 240 per year that's based solely on my experience.
    That’s about $3600 in 15 years in just electric. WoW!
    Add the controller, chiller, fans, etc to that....... hmmmm

This hobby is expensive. That’s about $9000.00 after 15 years. So you save about $6000.00 over the 15 years. by switching to LED’s hmmmm. I’m trying to talk myself into upgrading my lights to Radions. I guess by the end of 2014 something better will reduce the prices a bit. Like flat screen Tv’s.

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

That should do the trick.

It shouldn't because the primary thing the health of our tanks gains from having a controller is greater stability of temperature. You could, however, get a less expensive controller pack if you don't need it to control lights and pumps.

I believe you need either a computer operating system to install the EcoSmart Live software or the Reef Link device. In all honesty though, once it's all programmed, there's not much need or benefit to changing it often enough to warrant a constant connection.

If you can count on something, it will be this.

You should also consider that all of EcoTech Marine's products to date have been designed in a modular fashion, and unlike most other companies in the industry, they are actually bringing upgrades to market as fast as they are bringing new products. Buying into a Radion seems to be more of a platform purchase which can later be upgraded to the Pro version or anything else they might come up with in the future.

Other than that, I also like seeing some logic laid out before making a big investment, and everything you've done so far looks good.

4. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Something like a reef keeper light to control the chiller, heater, and a few other things? The lights and the Vortechs would be controlled by the EcoSmart program is that correct?

So the only real benefit for the Reef Link would be to turn off the power heads during feeding or just to be cool and do a lightning storm to show off for your buddies? Aside from that what would be the benefit of the Reef Link?

I do like the fact that they can be upgrade-able. That's one of the main reasons I switched from Windows to Mac because they make everything seem so much easier. I think in the long run for me this would be the best bet. I might try and do the lights first. Then hopefully the Vortechs will come down in price. Maybe they will get smarter and do affordable package deals......;-)

Right now I'm using a Reef Flo Dart for the main pump with about 6' head and two 3/4" returns at the bulkhead. They are connected to the bulkhead with Spaflex 1". I also have a Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC Inline Pump running as a closed loop I have a well point in the aquarium goes through the wall and in the chiller and back to the tank with 4 outputs 1/2" pipe with LocLine. Flow isn't my main concern. That pump is 12 years old and still running. Crazy. Thank you for the reply and the kind words.

I will say that in the past I used to buy cheap stuff and or make my own. I will say that some stuff has lasted some others not so much. I think it's just worth planning ahead than being impulsive like I used to be. New years resolution I guess LOL.

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Yes and yes.

There's a quick button you can push on the EcoSmart controller that comes with their pumps that will put all synced pumps into feed mode. There's also a quick button sequence on the Radions that will put them into storm mode.

I can't come up with a real reason for the Reef Link at this point, but they are constantly adding more to the system, so there very well could be more controller modules coming from them in the future.

6. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Plan of attack

Here is how I plan on obtaining these by the end of the year.

Attached Files:

• plan.jpg
      plan.jpg
      File size:
      203.9 KB
      Views:
  7. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Thank you for helping to justify my Radion purchase!!!

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I love my radions and reeflink, but I ran my radions for years without a controller. It only matters if you play with settings alot. Plugging them into a netbook is pretty easy.

10. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

LOl your welcome.

I can't wait till the day I can order mine.