Quiet and adjustable Overflow

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Chris Jones, Aug 4, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

Well while building my tank, I needed to build the plumbing for the tank overflow, so while perusing the DIY, I remembered a thread by FLETCH, ;) http://www.3reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29443 , which described a great Idea. ::) So here is my version.

It is adjustable as far as what height you want the water level inside the return section of the aquarium.

If you want the level lower, you push the tube deeper down the stand pipe, and ,vwella, :eek: the level lwoers, and vice versa to raise it to over the top of the end cap. ;D

I used 20" of 1" PVC for the stand pipe.

The top consists of a 2" to 1 1/2" reducer with threads on the 1 1/2" side, and a 1 1/2" end cap.

I placed the pipe up into the top section and marked on the PVC to where it would be covered.
    Then i drilled two holes through the PVC above that line by about 1" to 1 1/2".
    The PVC does not fit snug in the top, so I secured it with silicone.

I drilled a hole in the top the size that fit some standard air line snug. And I am using a 15" piece of air line for the vent. This baby is smooth and quiet, and I can adjust it to eliminate the babbling brook effect from a shallow return section, (just a 3" drop will cause this).
    Here are the pics.
    Also included is my return from sump nozzles, which is simply 3/4" PVC a 3/4" elbow, and a threaded fitting to accomodate the lock line nozzles.

Chris 8)

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Chris Jones

more pics. 8)

Attached Files:

4. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Looks very nice! :)

Now if I only knew how to get a hole in the bottom of a tempered glass tank! (Sigh!)

mike

5. Chris Jones

Thanks, You know, on the bottom of my all glass aquarium, it says not to drill it either. And about twelve inches away from that sticker, are two holes. :shocked2: How'd they do that?? :huh2:

6. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

That is done during manufacture. The drill the plate, then it is tempered.

Mike

7. Chris Jones

Truely? My LFS builds tanks and displays for their store, and they said they would guarantee it would not crack if they drilled my tank. This was when I was contemplating turning my 55 gal freshwater tank into a saltwater tank. I did not have it done, so I could not attest first hand, but they seemed confident.

Chris

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Did they say they would drill the bottom? Probably not...just the sides ;)

Great work!! ;D