Questions on PC lighting

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by new2salt2, Dec 28, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

Ok i know that first thing you all will say is go bigger, but... $$$$. Ok i found a 48" PC light with one 10kbulb and one actenic bulb. my tank is only 50 gal and about 18" deep is all maybe 24". this light is only 120 bucks and i was wondering if it would be good enough to raise corals since my tank is not that deep? i know you all say bigger but 300 is just too much for me right now and i cant find any used ones for sale. any ideas or help would be great

2. Click Here!

3. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

That depends on the type of corals you are thinking about getting, do some research on the amount of light that the coral will need. Have you thought of trying to build your on lighting?

4. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

If you go buy the rule of thumb 3 watts per gallon you need about 150 watts to start with and the light you are looking at is probably 2 55 or 65 watt bulbs the color is important actinic and all but you need the watts also. if they are 65 watt you are closer with 130 vs 110. Building you own is an option plus keep shopping you might find one that fits your needs. The pc hood I am running now is 4 65 watt tubes in a 48 inch hood and runs about $250. I did find a light called the Jebo light That features a 48 inch 220 watt fixture for $99 The site isn't up yet and I haven't called the number but here is the info:
    www.aquatraders.com
    1-800-970-2782
    direct phone #. 650-872-1995

5. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

no havet really thought about building my own.. could i buy a light from home base and tear it apart and mount the balast on my hood and use its fixtures?

6. SpecailEd

SpecailEd Astrea Snail

be careful doing that.. best thing i think for building your own is the buy the ballasts, and talk to your LFS about getting the bulbs, asuming home base is similar to homedepot / lowes here in south carolina. Lights drive me crazy too, the crappy ones i got now cost more than my used tank.. and i want better ones, but $$$$$ / being a college student is hard. good luck

7. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Here is my solution to similar problem...re: supplementing existing lights (48 inch PowerCompact from CustomSeaLife. with two 65 watt 10,000K bulbs & two 65 watt Ultra-Actinic bulbs) w/MH

Looked hard and long at all options for using existing lights on new tank and adding some "affordable" MH (and "fittable" on new tank with using existing Moonlite hood)

Best I have come up with that I think will fit my needs is a PFO 150 watt "Mini" HQI pendent ($89 at custom aquatic) - ballast is another $90, Coralvue 150 HQI bulbs can be found for around $50+. (as opposed to around $90 for Ushio)

re: (Custom Aquatic) LT-PFMINIHQI150 PFO Mini HQI 150 watt metal halide pendant, with optimal reflector and hanging brackets. Dimensions 10-1/4-inches x 6-1/2-inches x 4-inches (LxWxH) Price: $89.99 (also UV protective glass cover)

Am planning to start with just one HQI "mini" light system - so as I can keep "low light" critters on one side of tank, "high light" on other.

If later it turns out I need more light, will add another "mini" -

CustomAquatic says they should start carrying the Coralvue bulbs this coming month.

Also about "CoralVue"

re: David D'Aquin
    President
    Vue Technology LLC
    5 Emile Ave.
    Kenner, LA 70065

says they will be coming out with their own "mini" HQI pendants "soon" - he says also maybe next month...

Judging by the price of his bulbs, the new pendants may be well worth waiting for pricewise.

Am trying to hold off as long as I can before commiting for the PFO's.

FWIW

OmarD

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

with what you have now leathers and mushrooms probably would do pretty well and most polyps plus they are good beginner corals also