Questions About Zoa's

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by lunatik_69, Jan 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I've been noticing that most of my zoas are not as colorful as before. I have some brown with green in the middle, now its only brown. Lite brown with orange in the middle and now only brown. My other ones are still the same colors but not as opened as before. I have checked my parameters and everything checks out. The only factors that come to mind is my skimmer is working too good or my lights need replacing. My lights were replaced on 07.15.07, both MH and actinics. Has anyone had the same problem?

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

4. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Hey Lunatik, was it a gradual change or did the coloration change over a period of time? I am thinking that if it was over a period of time it might be the lights? Also, mine tend to like a lot of flow....8)

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Over time but like 3-4 weeks or so. They get plenty of flow. I cant think of anything else.

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Your lights are not intense enough for them to maintain color. The bright colors you see in them are their defense against intense UV rays. Zoa's need high light, high flow and a lil dirty water to thrive.

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

So....change ALL the lights(MH and Actinics)? Maybe thats why my clam isnt coming out as much too.

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

what kind of lights are you using? How old are the ballasts?

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I have 2-250 watts HQI DE 20000k MH bulbs and 2-96watt actinics. The unit was bought in Dec. of 2006

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

As you know, I obtained my zoo's about 24 hours ago, and so far they're doing very well! (Which is kinda like saying my 3 week old truck looks great!! LOL But as the weeks go by I'll stop by this thread and keep you updated. I got a good photo showing their color. I'll post another in a week or two. I have 5-T5s atop my 55 gal.

12. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Hey Lunatik,
    Try moving your zoas further up in your tank. How high is your tank? I do agree that it is probably the lights..But, one important things that a lot of people don't realize is that they like a lot of flow...8)