Questions about live rock placement

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by rking, Dec 26, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rking

rking Astrea Snail

Ok, now its time for me to start pumping you guys for knowledge! I'm getting ready to start adding live rock to my 55 gal (reef to be) aquarium. I'd like to get some ideas about the best way to place the live rock formation. I don't necessarily need ideas about shapes etc. What I'm looking for is whether or not I should build some sort of PVC scaffolding to ensure the rock will be stable in my formation or should I just stack it and perhaps attach the pieces together with zip ties and/or epoxy. Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton.

Ray

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

People have done some cool stuff with live rocks and PVC pipe, however I have always gone the traditional route - stacking it on the sand. What I try to do is let as little as possible actually touch the sand and create a lot of open spaces around the live rock for good water circulations. I always leave several inches around all sides of the glass so it is easy to clean. FWIW.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have 2 Islands of about 150lbs of rock each. I removed and re-stacked that rock 12 times. Then I quite and my wife did on side 4 more times and I don't think our vision was ever 100% realized. It's the hardest thing to do. I think. I have PVC under one side and tried to use PVC on the other but ended up just stacking it. There are some that even drill the rock and connect it with acrylic rods or zap straps.

Good luck, just take your time.

J

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I agree with Matt...leave room around the rock...ugh...i have way to much rock in my tank and cleaning the side glass is hell! hah...

6. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

I agree, leave room around the rock. Youll need to clean the glass sometime, and the last thing you want to do is have rock falling, or have to move rock to clean. I love the 2 island look, and i gonna try to get it going in my 100. I just hope I have enough room. Good luck and let us know how it goes,

Michael

7. Glipzcom

Glipzcom Flamingo Tongue

Yeah this is a gripe I have with this idea that we should have 2 lbs of rock to every gallon of water. Rock takes up a lot of area. I only had 30 lbs for my 45 gallon tank and there really becomes almost no way to not make a wall. I mean it might end up looking like a cool wall. And that said I would like to see any photos of tanks that followed the 1-2lbs guideline and somehow came up with anything other than a wall.

8. Click Here!

9. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

lol, I agree Glipzcom. I just use enough rock to make the aquascape I want. I think the sand is more important than the rock. The rock will get covered in coralline anyway, so all the pores will get covered. Just make the aquascape you want and get around 30-50 lbs of rock in there and youll be fine. Get a sump and put rock in there to make up the difference, lol.

Michael

10. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

Stacking LR

I think either I got really lucky or I got the best idea for stacking. I have an 80 with 100LBS LR. What I did was I put 3 smaller pieces on the sand and arranged them like a flat triangle. then I stacked a big piece on top of those. Made like a big cave. I also did that on the other side of the tank. Then I continued that same idea on top of those rocks and carried it over to the other side of the tank. If that makes any sense. here is a photo of my tank that might help ya.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

That looks pretty cool! Karma for the architect.

12. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

;DThank You! Much appreciated. Lots of hard work and about 4 do-overs!