questions about feeding corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by rleepremier, Mar 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rleepremier

rleepremier Plankton

so i would like to feed my acans, ricordea, and my anemone. i feed small pieces of mysis. now this might sound like a dumb questions but on a small 8 head acan colony do i feed each head?what about a ricordea do i feed each mouth? hahah i fed each head and they seemed to like it but i dont want to overfeed. thanks

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That would depend on how often you feed. Once a week is usually considered plenty. You feeding each head/mouth will be fine.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It's actually a very common question. I hear it both ways, "ok to feed one and the whole colony receive nutrition"and just the opposite from other people. I just feed all polyps and watch my parameters for a climb in nitrates and watch my tank for algae development.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It depends on the animal. Some share nutrition with other polyps. Other animals don't share.

6. rleepremier

rleepremier Plankton

i very rarely feed. maybe once every 2 weeks. will be feeding tonight though as i feel they arent popping like they used to.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Thanks Curt,

Can you please provide some examples. For instance I have heard that dendro do not share as readily??? I can see where a chalice would not need every polyp (eye) feed. Corals like my hydnophora just need a general feeding no effort to feed any particular part of the coral.

TIA