Questionable Tactics By LED Company?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by xmetalfan99, Sep 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Didnt someone say that Shawn Wilson was the only one who could speak for Orphek? Yet it says in the above link that Shawn Wilson is the owner of Reef and Rainforest Design. But the link to that company is broken.

2. Click Here!

3. pescado

pescado Plankton

I have spoken with Scott at Aquarium Specialties who distributes Orphek products. He claims to do pretty well with them. I actually bought a couple of the T8 tubes from him when they first became available.
    I have had them installed over my tank, mixed with some T5's, for 10 days now. I really like the color of the LED's, but it is too early to tell how well the corals will do under them. The corals certainly aren't taking a turn for the worse. I will try to borrow a par meter & get some readings.

4. pescado

pescado Plankton

I think we all have to understand that this is a foreign company with no official office and questionable representation in the U.S. at best, beyond their dealers Marine Depot and Aquarium Specialty. Many foreign companies depend on their distributors to represent them and not set up an office, especially in their cash tight start up phases.
    I will buy the language barrier explanation as I have communicated directly with Orphek via email. I also think part of their problem may be that they don't understand how business is normally conducted in the U.S. especially in regards to advertising and marketing. You don't bad mouth the competition or influence reviews (if indeed they even do) because they aren't "impartial" reviews anymore, they're advertisements. But hey, you don't think there are plenty of U.S. companies that stretch things when they tout their products? Many of them push it to the legal limit.
    As long as Orphek's products are what they say they are then it doesn't really matter who is who.

5. Bustopher

Bustopher Skunk Shrimp

https://plus.google.com/109715906069361471060/about

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I don't see a problem with being involved in an LED company and also aquarium design. Those two don't cause a conflict of interest.

Though I did a search for Reef and Rainforest Design and it didn't come up with any good results. The site has been disabled.

Reef & Rainforest Design - Google Search

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

OK, now we're talking! I won't argue against the facts anymore because you have all clearly supplied the facts. I hope I didn't come across as another Orphek drone. I just wanted to see people do the opposite of what Jake Adams did. You all avoided your high horse and supplied the dirt. Awesome thread!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

10. pescado

pescado Plankton

It looks like he had Reef&Rainforest when he was in Toronto. You'd expect that he'd not continue with it if he's spending his time in a major capacity with Orphek USA.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Enough

I have had all I can take here.

The irony of people posting how they don't like a company's behavior after reading this thread is pretty intense. Read your own posts. How would you measure up based on some of the things you wrote?

If you were a casual reader or were looking for help with your fish, would this thread make you join the site?

I wouldn't.

11 pages of effort for what? Did we save any fish or coral today?

Spare me the noble retorts. This is a witch hunt.

Do something positive. Help somebody with their fish tank.
    And please use facts based on your own experiences.

CLOSED.

matt

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.