Questionable Tactics By LED Company?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by xmetalfan99, Sep 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Ah, now this is some interesting stuff. Definitely much more convincing with links and reference :)

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Sure those are believeable numbers with 40* optics. They don't say how far away from the fixture they were tested (horizontally, I mean). With tighter optics, par will be much higher within that focusing range. The par graph (on the RB article) of the Orphek pr156 shows 500 umol par in the center with less than 100 umol par 12" away from center. That's why they seem to work well on large deep tanks.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  4. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Thank you xmetal. That was one of the threads I was trying to find. Thats classy business conduct right? Jump in on another sponsors forum and hype your product?

5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Guys, posting links won't help. You need to post cache copies as they will change them. If the links are from 3reef quote the comments. You can even copy the text and past it and provide a link for a refference.

1 person likes this.
  6. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Good point gcarroll, I wasnt even thinking about that.

On another ironic side note, I was in another town today for work and stopped by their LFS. They had a frag tank with some PR 25s on it and nothing looked happy in it. Granted it could have been a million factors, but I just find it funny :cheesy:

7. Bustopher

Bustopher Skunk Shrimp

http://www.3reef.com/forums/purely-h20/par-readings-our-coral-maxx-leds-111766-4.html#post1158999
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/purely-h20/par-readings-our-coral-maxx-leds-111766-4.html#post1159017

For preservation then...

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Hmm this company is turning quite interesting. Has anyone spoken with dealers who have actually stocked and sold the unit?

Marine depot has carried their products for at least a year from whatbi have observed. If the company was as shady as everyone is implying then why would a huge store like marine depot continue to carry and keep selling their products?

For claims this is a simple warehouse led with a touch of blue added has anyone been told about this light killing their tank with bad light?

Since so little information can be found on orphek it may be a sub division of a much bigger company that is being hidden.

I've liked orphek and have been impressed with their line up, the pr156's, the par25's, the ml7's, and their huge dif chip pendants as well as some day their t5/t8 tubes.

To me that's a lot of products for a shady little sketchy no name useless led company to be pushing. And since the company is still around a few years later they must be selling these fixtures. I've seen no bad write ups on the lights itself.

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Also, as people mentioned PAR data. The other PAR data I see commonly is apparently from an INDMAS club meeting. This PAR data for Orphek, seems to get posted a lot (from here originally I believe June Meeting - INDMAS)

I've seen it posted by msr224 in post #36 in this captive aquatics girls thread for example.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/sw-pico-tank-build-108398-4.html

I'm sort of surprised msr224 has not jumped in here actually, most of his posts seem to be about Orphek.

Also
    Same data on this reef2reef thread
    Orphek PR-25 LED Pendants over other pr 38, whats better

And in this ReefLand thread
    PAR38's, 55 gallon tank.

There are many others too. So, someone must have some experience with these. Maybe one of these posters could provide some more insight into the lights and how this PAR data was collected?

6/18/11 in PrettyInPinks thread

"We just did PAR tests a week ago at the meeting and the PR25 was hot. The whole meeting was about the cost of running the lights. We measured consumption and then figured the cost out at 11 cents per kilowatt hour, 10 hours a day and all. The par in these things at the cost makes it a no brainer in my opinion. 63cents per month to run each PR25. Also, keep in mind When we put both PR25 over the tank the PAR went up to 160 to 170 range on the sand bed.....

Here is the cut and paste.

Heres what I have, feel free to add other information if you have it.

We had all the fixture 27 inches off the bottom, anyone know how far below the waterline was?

The first set of LED's DIY I beleive: Blues WL: 300, bottom: 130. Blues and whites WL: 500, bottom:200. I was super impressed by these the energy consumption was minimal and they gave good coverage throught the tank.
    The next set of T5's werent working correctly the notes I have are WWhites only WL:200, bottom:100
    Tek Light elite, 5 blue plus, 2 aquablue specials and 1 fiji purple, cost $13.20 per month to run factored at 10 hours a day. 4 Blues WL: 245, bottom:115. All 8 bulbs WL: 550-570, bottom: 220.
    Elos Mini LEDs WL: 175, bottom 45
    175 wt MH 15 k bulb I have it at $5.78 per month to run but nothing else. I think this one failed to restart or something.
    250 watt DE Pheonix WL: 240-250, bottom: 93. Cost $8.31 per month to run 10 hrs a day.
    PAR 38 LED 6 white 6 blue WL: 300, bottom: 80-90, .63 cents a month to run 10 hours a day?
    6 blue, 4 white and 3 UV WL: 370, bottom: 87
    Moonlight4 blue, 4 UV WL 100, bottom 25
    These ran on a standard 110 light bulb socket. No ballast or anything but seemed to be more of a spot light type coverage.

Dave has all of the power consumption notes so I'm sure some of this will get changed.

My opinion? Well since you asked. MH are gas guzzlers but are proven and reliable. T5's arent quite as thirsty but close, little heat, wall to wall coverage. The most expensive to change bulbs. LED's they are getting there, very cheap to power no bulb changing, little heat. If I ran them I would be taking monthly growth shots to prove to the critics that it can be done. Hint Hint! "

11. pescado

pescado Plankton

12. pescado

pescado Plankton

Double post

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.