Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by ed5480, Dec 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ed5480

ed5480 Plankton

Ok so im new at the freshwater fish tank. actually new to fish tanks all together. I have a 30 gallon tank with a millennium 3000 filter. i put water in after wiping everything down with a wet sponge. Now there are small white particals in the water that are coming from the sink so i know its not gravel dust or dust from the fake plants/fake rock. I have no fish yet because i know the tank hasnt cycled yet. Also the water isnt perfectly clear its pretty foggy when looking through the tank longways. My question is will all these im purities be filtered out over the next few days or should i find a new water source. The water was treated with Seachem Prime as well. Ive read up but i couldnt realy find out if other peoples tap water had small white particals in it. It really does looklike dust. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. ed5480

ed5480 Plankton

ok well the stuff in not getting filtered out and the way i can tell is because i can add a glass under the area where the filter puts out water, im only getting the water that comes out of the filter and there are still small dust looking particals in it.

4. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Welcome to 3reef. And i've never seen them in my tap water. I would try running some carbon in your tank.

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I think it could be limescale - do you live in a hard water area? Dont worry, the filter will eventually get rid of it all. As previously stated you could add some chemical filtration, but wait until your tank has cycled as this type of filtration will slow the cycle down.

6. ed5480

ed5480 Plankton

im using the carbon filters but its still not stoppping that little white things. Its been runing overnight now and i cant see any difference. Also the cloudiness of the water hasnt gone down. im hoping that it will filter out. Im going to get atest kit today and see whats going on with the water. Thanks for the quick replies.

7. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

You just have to give it time to work buddy - it will eventually give you crystal clear water. But with a tropical fresh tank you should expect the water to turn a golden colour anyway.

8. Click Here!

9. hultink

hultink Plankton

did you wash everything before you put it in? even gravel?and also you yoused the cemical that takes out clorine right? there is stuff called cycle that is the same that i use and it is normal. just have to ask not meaning to be a jerk because my friend did it once but did you use soap? if you did redo everything with washing it with hot water. Hope all goes well and the filter will do it job slowly but it will all clear up.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  10. ed5480

ed5480 Plankton

not a jerk question at all. i did not use any soaps and everything was rinsed. i read alot before i started settin up i just hadnt seen anything about unclear water at first. Thanks for the help guys ill let everyone know how it turns out.

11. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

You can try buying a product called Crystal Clear from AP. It is made of a plat that binds small particals so that sponge filters can grab them. I didnt think they worked but, I used it after putting gravel in and 24 hours later it was so clear I could not beleave it.

Sounds like you have hard water and the best way in my opinion to get rid of it is to use RO/DI water or pre-filter it some how before you put it in the tank.

12. ed5480

ed5480 Plankton

Thanks ill give that a try later today and see how it goes. Ill keep everyone posted.