Question Regarding Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO).

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by JaysLittleOcean, Aug 5, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JaysLittleOcean

JaysLittleOcean Spaghetti Worm

Well my wife and I have finally decided that we will be looking for a new home in about 2 years time. She also has said that once we close on the new house that I can build the aquarium of my dreams! With that being said my current setup still requires a few pieces of equipment and I'm looking to purchase them once so I want to be able to size them accordingly to handle my new system. So my question is this. I'm going to purchase a GFO Reactor that will be able to handle a 1,000 gallon system. I was curious to know can I fill it with more GFO than is needed to decrease the amount of time required before changing when the media is exhausted?

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I wouldn't, especially if you have corals, typically the first time you run GFO, you do a half dose to give your corals a chance to get used to the rapid reduction.

Mr. Bill and zesty like this.
  4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Too much GFO leads to bleaching of stony corals and alkalinity issues. More is not better in this case.

Mr. Bill likes this.