Question on Tubastria Sun Polyps

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by sullimil22, Jul 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sullimil22

sullimil22 Astrea Snail

I recently bought a tubastria sun polyp and bought phyto feast to feed it. The LFS said to squirt up close in a circular pattern and that feeding every polyp directly is not necessary. My question is can I only feed when it is blooming or can I do it while it is closed. I know these polyps like low lighting and have placed them in a cave so they are exposed to very low lighting, but they still arent always all blooming out, only some are out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Sull

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The best time to feed them is when the polyps are open. Mine open up immediatly(sp) after I feed my fish. I use bloodworms, mysis shrimps and brine shrimps. Luna

1 person likes this.
  4. sullimil22

sullimil22 Astrea Snail

Is the phyto feast ok to use also? Can I use frozen brine shrimp to feed? Also can these polyps be successfully fragged?

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I think that phyto is to "little" for them, I feed them frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp and brine shrimp. I have never fragged them so I cant answer that, sorry. but Im sure theres a way. Luna

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

My coral book says that they currently are not fragged due to their form, but they do produce polyp buds, so they can spread onto other rocks and areas. They require no light, but rely totally on food in the water. They do need larger pieces of food, such as brine shrimp, mysis or other meaty items

7. sullimil22

sullimil22 Astrea Snail

Thanks, I guess I should get one of those coral books huh? Might do me some good. Not to get off topic here, but I noticed you have a Remora, I have one too, been running for 6 weeks now and still produces a lot of wet foam...have to empty the cup every day, its dirty water though, just wondering if you have the same problem.