Question on lighting

Discussion in 'Marine Depot' started by Vizzle1717, May 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

I am SERIOUSLY looking into some LED units within the next 4-6 weeks and I have been browsing around MD.com

I like the look of the dimmable Skkye Light from Innovative Marine, but my question is would I have to actually go up to the light every time I wanted to dim the light fixture, or can I set it to gradually turn on in the morning, and gradually dim itself back to moonlights? Do the moonlights have a dimming switch or just an on and off button !!

The 36 inch fixture is $450.00 and I would like to know everything I can, and preferably see, this light a bit more before purchasing it.

2. Click Here!

3. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

Check out reefbreeders. their unit is similarly priced, has full programming capabilities, and can be set to automatically dim like you are wanting. And it is a full spectrum fixture, not just whites and blues.

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Vizzle, I would look into the evergrow IT2080. Reefbreeders sells them as the Photon 32 and that's what I use and really like it. You just have to be really careful with the intensity.

5. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

I am in a new world with all this LED talk...I have an 8w Skkye clamp light from Innovative Marine that is doing awesome and I love the fixture. So now that I am upgrading my systems, I was thinking Innovative Marine might be the way to go

I want something that is semi-user friendly, but something that can pretty much do what I described above.

it is asking my about degree optics when I check out reefbreeders. Also, whats up the the 180 dollar value LED system. Apparently I need to read up on all this which isn't a problem....and should start a general discussion about LED lighting in the General Discussion board

6. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

two channels manual dimmer switches for the value system. also only 16" wide. the photons have digital dimmers/timers built into the unit

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

There's a whole forum on LED lighting. as far as optics goes, 90 degree is a good all around lens

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

10. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

The Razor is another great light.

11. MarineDepot

MarineDepot 3reef Sponsor

Maxspect Razor?

The Innovative Marine light is a great choice, but they require appliance timers to simulate your sunrise, sunset, and lunar light cycle as they are on three separate outlet plugs. Only the daylights and actinic blues can be manually dimmed. This light fixture will not dim automatically.

If you are looking for a light fixture that has a built-in controller and can dim automatically, the 27 inch Maxspect Razor would be able to cover a 36 inch long aquarium. I hope this helps!

Dan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  12. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Plus the Razor has a far better spectrum, and IIRC most on IM's lights don't have cree leds...