question on green star polyp

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by losthawk1, Jun 10, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. losthawk1

losthawk1 Astrea Snail

i got one from a pet shop a year ago and the rock was full of them now there are only about 8 or 9 do i need to feed them something or what?

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hmmm, ok well im going to assume you are talking about Briareum sp (common green star polyp)

Well. These guys are photosynthetic...many scientists think that they are full photosynthetic...so if you have a powerful enough light they should be ok. If you have had them for a year and they are slowly dying there is somthing wrong. What are your supp levels in the tank?

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I've never feed mine and when food lands on them, it might seem like it grabs it, but I think they are actually going in. Just provide good water movement and light. :)

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Pachyclavularia(reddish-purple mat with green polyps) can inhabit both low level and intense lighting arrangements. If you have detritus or algae on the mats they will not open up. they will also not open up if their are Aiptasia anemone's or strong toxic corals with sweeper tentacles such as Euphyllia and Catalaphyllia. Too much iodine will also impede the polyps from opening up.
    One note: Briareum(Gorgonian) that BRUCE mentioned is alot of times associated or called the same thing though they are different in nature. Briareum shed mucus sheets and send vertical projections from the mat whereas Pachyclavularia just forms loose folds. Moreover, Briareum has sweeper tentacles, Pachyclavularia does not!

6. losthawk1

losthawk1 Astrea Snail

thank people you been helpful

7. nanonewby

nanonewby Astrea Snail

will the green star poylp in question Pachyclavularia come back after you remove the algea if all the green stars are gone and only the purple mats remain?

8. Click Here!

9. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

10. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

To add to what coral reefer added I find that mine will not come out when the tank hits 82.5 or above. Mine have hid for 10 days and came back in full force once the temp was fixed.

11. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

I've had my GSP for just about 2 months now. It had been doing beautifully -- spreading well (2 frags created) and consistently opening, even when the temp in the tank got a bit higher than I would like. But yesterday I noticed that it just looked weaker. Tentacles not fulled extended, less activity. This morning before the lights came up I noticed that one section of the mat is a much darker color and I can even see a tentacle that has falled off. I'm going to give it a once over w/ a toothbrush to clear off any detritus or algae, but I was hoping someone else might have an idea of what has happened and what I should do. The other frags of GSP in the tank seem to be doing just fine.

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

For some reason their are times when the stars don't open up all the way or for a day or two then all of the sudden they will open up again. Again detritus is bad as well as algae that congregates on the matt. Use a soft bristle toothbrush to gently remove it or better yet try using a turkey baster or equivalent.
    PISCES23, the matt coloration change is possibly due to the light absorbed by the Star polyps. The light (PAR) may not be the same across the whole matt. Nutrients may possibly be absorbed through their tissue(polyps) as well as light received for their Zooxanthellae.