Question of fragging ricordia

Discussion in 'Frags' started by MagReef, Oct 26, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MagReef

MagReef Flamingo Tongue

I was searching the internet on how to frag ricordia. Most things I found was taking one whole ricordia from a rock that had a whole colony growing on it. They were just putting the one whole ricordia on a seperate rock. This is more like seperation to me rather than propagation. I want to make new ones. Is this possible? I was wondering if i can cut them up like I did my mushrooms to grow new mushrooms??? Maybe I am wishful thinking! I noticed that my ricrdia is still one unit. It is like flouresent orange and has what I call, 3 small green "mouths." I didn't know if it was planning on splitting into three or what. I want to help it out in multiplying. Any suggestions?::)

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

You can cut them up like mushrooms. However, in my experience with them, I had a 20% loss rate though for unknown reasons of the new pieces.

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

if its grown 3 mouths,i would just be patient and wait for them to seperate into 3 ricordia.cutting them is something people do when they won't grow mouths and split by themselves.

5. MagReef

MagReef Flamingo Tongue

How long do I have to wait for them to split? When I first got it a couple months ago I noticed not long it had another mouth and now three but it has never split yet. I know I need to have ALOT more patience, but that is a virtue that I don't normally possess.:tongue4:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  6. vermontreef

vermontreef Plankton

Ricordias turn slime up pretty easily when fragged.

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Corallimorpharia can reproduce a number of ways through asexual reproduction! Laceration, fission, inverse budding and transverse budding. Totipotent tissue can be cut off at the column to form daughter shrooms as exact replicas of the mother colony! It is pretty easy to do though reproduction naturally is the best way to go and to decrease stress brought on by the laceration etc.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I frag them once they get around 2" ni diameter. I also dip them in an iodine bath right after fragging to prevent losses.

10. h2ocrazy

h2ocrazy Plankton

I have asked around and from my research Florida Ricordia frags the best, with the Yuma Ricordia you may lose most if not all of it by cutting it. I have a Yuma that has not grown any mouths, just the one on it and is a little over 3" in diameter. My Florida Ricordia is a bit smaller and has 2 mouths and has had them for a bit over a month. From what I have seen, the Fl Ric can grow as many as 5 mouths and not ever split. The best way to frag this Ric is by either cutting off pieces with mouths(which will allow for faster healing) or if there is only one mouth you cut it into pie pieces centering at the mouth. Best advice if you will be cutting is to use a sharp blade and make the cuts in 1-2 swipes or using very sharp scissors and cutting in one motion to lessen the harm. To help them attach use netting to hold against a rock(as done with Xenia) or leave on a bed of rubble with low flow to attach on their own.

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Yumas can get up to 6"s...

12. snyderpsdn

snyderpsdn Plankton

splitting ricordia

I feel the best way of helping ricordia split is to use a rubberband snug around the center and even into four like a cross. It is alive remember so i would try to stay away from cutting it .:cry: