question for seasoned keepers

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Dingo, Sep 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

hey folks, I have this odd biofilm on my rocks that wont seem to go away. I rode it out for about 3 weeks so far thinking that it would run its course but im not to sure about that anymore as it hasnt decreased in size.
    I am assuming it has something to do with the tank being somewhat new, however cant determine the exact cause. I was very careful not to let any phosphates or any silicates in (even when curing the new rock).

Im assuming the biofilm is either bacteria (highly likely) or diatoms that just wont subside (not as likely). what do you all think?

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

It's hard for me to see, but is it a hair algae? I see it swaying in the video, but I can't really see it well, or see what color it is, etc.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

it has been colorless for all three weeks so i am thinking no to hair algae... i believe hair algae would require a color so it can go through photosynthesis.

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Yes, it would be some type of green/yellow....

I'm going to guess some type of bacteria. It kind of reminds me of cyano, but not red. So I'm going to go with bacteria.

6. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

Is it spreading at all?

I thought by it's coloration it might have been a type of sponge or other simple live-rock encrusting fauna, but the way it moves is like an algae.

edit: can you get a really close up pic of it? Could it be a hydroid colony of some sort?

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Hydroid is my best guess

8. Click Here!

9. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

A friend has that too, I'd say it is a type of algae, probably came on the rock. Do your fish nip at it?

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

are you dosing vodka in this tank?

if you are, its probably a bacterial growth from the excess carbon

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

- i am fairly certain it is not algae
    - my rock came straight from my old tank (where this Biofilm was not present) and my new rock is base rock that was formed into pillars (see my 2010 diy video entry) and then cured in a plastic tub for a few weeks
    - I have not yet dosed vodka, however am tempted to start up and see if I can deprive them of whatever nutrient fuels this stuff

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I don't think it's a type of hydroid. I have never had them in any of my tanks and I haven't added new "live" rock to my systems in over a year.
    It's on almost all of the rocks which also leads me to believe it is not hydroids