question conserning fishless cycling

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Blazinfire, Jan 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

hey everyone its getting to the point in the next day or two for me to start my cycle. i was going to go with the fishless cycling by adding my own ammonia.

the only problem is the only ammonia i can find anywhere is clear ammonia which has the basic ingredient plus surfactant, from all my research everyone has said pure ammonia with no surfactant or anything..

where can i find this pure ammonia? places i have already checked was local grocery stores, wal-mart, and hardware stores. they all have the same clear ammonia with surfactant.

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

I've heard of people using shrimp bought from the store. Throw a piece of raw shrimp in. I have never seen pure ammonia. Sorry.

1 person likes this.
  4. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

i don't know anything about pure ammonia, but you can throw a piece of "table" shrimp in there and let it rot, that's one heck of a way to start a cycle without animals.

1 person likes this.
  5. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

well i've done plenty and plenty of research on how do this. because my current 10 gallon tank for my girlfriend i just used real fish. and i wanted to do a different approach to this. but i didn't like the idea of having a piece of shrimp rotting in my brand new tank :p

6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

then pee in it...:);)

j/k j/k

7. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

well i sure wouldn't wanna do that but that would give it the ammonia lol. is there any other option than using sacrifice fish and shrimp? maybe i'll have to do some more research. as in my other post i just now had to replace the heater. so its still gonna be a day or two before i'm actually able to start the cycle now

8. Click Here!

9. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

I've heard Ace Hardware carries it.